IV

Two days after leaving home and staying with the Barnum's, things were going better than I could have predicted. Since I spent everyday at the circus helping out before and after, Mr. Barnum decided to offer me a job as a stage hand so I could make some money doing what I was already doing. I was still staying at his house with him and I had grown close to Caroline and Helen. They were very kind children.

As I was setting up that Monday evening, Mr Barnum came up to me and asked me a question.

"Y/n? I was wondering if you would be willing to set up everything for the show tonight?"

"Of course. Are you going to miss the show?" I responded still setting up the ropes for the Wheeler siblings act tonight.

"Maybe, I'm going to a play, and perhaps returning with something that will further our success." He gave me a wink and a knowing smile, but I had no idea what it meant. My eye brows raised as I looked at him with curiosity. "Don't worry, I'll be back." He walked away, his mouth still curved into a grin.

"Okay," I whispered to myself before calling to him, "Have a good night Mr. Barnum!"

--

The show had been going great. Everyone's performances went perfectly, but P.T. still hadn't returned and we were already halfway through the show.

"Y/n, have you seen my fan," Lettie asked me. " It's deathly hot in here."

I looked over at her and noticed she wasn't in her costume. "I think I saw it upstairs by the office. Once you find it, I need you to get your dress back on though," I tell her.

She sighs but doesn't complain, she talks to P.T. about the heat of her costume nearly every night and I guessed she didn't want to argue pointlessly anymore.

Anne and W.D. come out of the change area. They're preforming next. I give them a once over before sending them off. Chang and Eng came running off the stage as they finished. I gave them a hug and told them they did great.

As soon as they left, the back door was thrown open and P.T. came in with another man who's face I couldn't quite see. They were singing and dancing through and around all of the cast who were practicing their acts. As the men's dance progressed to the stairs, I caught a glimpse of the mystery man's face and froze.

Phillip Carlyle.

Lettie was coming down the stairs and laughed at their dance. She walked over to me. I still hadn't moved.

"Y/n? You okay?"

"Yes," I said slowly, "just suprised is all." Why is Phillip here? What is P.T. thinking? What is Phillip thinking?! What will he think when he sees me working here?

I was so distracted in my own thoughts that I didn't pay attention to my surroundings. Lettie had left to go get dressed and Anne and W.D. had finished their act. Charles snapped me out of it when he pulled on my dress.

"Y/n, I need you to get me on the horse."

"Oh right." After the trapeze act, Prince Constantine goes out to perform with the jugglers. The Tom Thumb act comes right after that, so he has to be ready to go.

I follow Charles to the horse and place him on. As I'm making sure all the straps are fastened correctly I glanced towards the stage entrance. P.T. was introducing Phillip to Anne and W.D. I noticed behind them, the jugglers were almost done.