XIII

P.T. and Phillip purchased the land that night. By the following Friday we had a tent and were preparing for opening night on Saturday.

To say we were nervous, would be an understatement. The fire had destroyed everything. Everyone was rehearsing constantly, including the musicians who had to rewrite the sheet music. I had spent the week working on remaking costumes. Phillip had been given the task of finding all new props. Mr. Barnum was interviewing more people to be stage hands with myself, since most refused to return after the fight that caused the fire Everyone had something to do.

Around 8 o'clock that night, Phillip appeared in the back room I was working on.

"Still sewing?" he asked.

"Almost done, actually. Just a couple more buttons."

"Who's costume are you working in now?"

"Yours," I smiled with a quick glance at his reaction. His eyes widened slightly and his smile faltered.

"I don't need a costume, Y/n," he sighed. "You don't need to waste your time on that."

"Why do you think that I am wasting my time?" I asked while standing up. "I think it's necessary for the circus' partner to have a costume just as grand as the rest." I held the red coat up to his chest and smiled. "Perfect."

His eyes locked on mine as he grabbed my wrist and lowered the coat. "I can think of a lot better things to do than that." He moved closer. I could see the hint of a smile on the corner of his lips.

"Oh yeah?" I said moving closer as well.

His eyes drifted closed as he leaned down and whispered against my lips, "yeah."

His lips were on mine immediately after and I fell into a state of sweet bliss. The coat left my hand as I wrapped my arms around his neck, successfully pulling him closer. His hands found my waist causing me to hum in happiness.

It didn't last long though, as we were interupted by P.T. as he burst through the door.

"Y/n, are those cos- Hey! None of that in here!"

Phillip and I both pulled away and my eyes found the ground.

"Sorry Mr. Barnum," I mumbled guiltily.

"Well I was going to ask if the costumes were done, but given what I just walked in on, I'm going to guess that they're not."

"Actually," Phillip started. "She finished them before I even got in here."

I glanced up to see a cheeky smile on Phillip's face. P.T. and phillip were both looking at me and started chuckling quietly at the red of my face. I glared playfully at them and crinkled my nose before joining them and smiling.

"Well, I want everyone to try them on. Would that be okay?" P.T. asked. "I don't want to keep you from anything." He winked at Phillip.

I gave him a playful shove. "Nope. I'm not doing anything."

Phillip feigned hurt as I pushed past him to gather the costumes.

"Sorry, my dear, I have to work," I said patting his shoulder as I passed him again.

"Oh well, I'll just be here, waiting for you to return."

I giggled. "Bye Phillip!"

--

After I ensured everyone's costume fit properly, Phillip walked me home. My arm was wrapped around his and my head rested on his shoulder as we walked the streets of New York.