Chapter 36

The past weeks I went ring shopping with Kyle and Chris.

"That one looks nice."

"Yeah, if I was being crowned Super Bowl MVP. That ring is way too big. I have to get her something... Light but not too safe." We walk around and look at more rings.

"Is there something I can do for you boys?" The lady asked behind the counter.

"Yeah, I'm planning to get an engagement ring and I need something elegant but not too safe."

"Oh well I have just the thing. One moment please." She said running to the back and carrying out two boxes of beautiful rings. My eyes spotted an icy whitish blue crystal on top of a golden ring.

"That's the one." I said smiling. The lady smiled and pulled out the ring.

"Made in 1986. Just the right amount of shimer." Kyle and Chris agreed that it was a special ring.

"How much is it?" Chris asked. The lady took out her calculator and said the price.

"34, 526 dollars and 72 cents." I winced at the price.

"Does it come with a panda? Does he get a lap dance with it? Why the hell.. " Kyle wasn't making the situation better.

"Kyle it's okay. How about $30,000?" She hesitates and shakes her head.

"Are you trying to negotiate with me?"

"It's worth a shot."

"33,000." She says.

"32,000 dollars. I'm stopping at that."

"Okay....fine. Would you like to take a look at the boxes that come with the ring?"

"Yes please. I spotted a smooth black box and on the inside, it was a red cushion where the ring would lay.

"I'll take that one." The lady handed me the box with the ring inside and I handed her the cash. As we walked out of the store, I could hear Kyle and Chris talking. Then they looked at me.

"What?" I asked.

"Well, now that you're officially becoming a true man and all, who's going to be your best man?" I looked at the both of them and knew that both of them wanted to know. I never really did give it any thought.

"Both of you."

"What?" Chris says.

"Both of you will be my best man. You both are my best friends." They looked at each other and back at me. I shrugged NY shoulders and walked down the walkway. We head outside and I see Jessica trying to make her way into a black van.

"Jessica? Jessica!" I scream out. She turns and looks at me with a blank expression.

"Go home boy. Stop...following me." She falls on the passenger seat. Her butt sticks out as her stomach is laid flat against the seat. I go to walk over and help but I see a man look me dead in the eyes. He walks over to Jessica as she vomits in the car. The man gets upset and hits her in the face. Chris, Kyle and I rush over to her.

"Get the fuck away from her." I say pushing him to the side.

I see Jessica shaking and pull off my shirt. I wrap the flannel around her arms and Chris and Kyle walk her to the car. I look back at the man and see that it is Tayler.

"So this is how you're going to treat your soon to be wife? Hitting her in front of people? Letting her walk around drunk and smelling like shit?" He doesn't answer. He pulls out a cigarette and tries to light it. He takes a long breath and puffs the smoke out into the air.

"Your sister is a piece of work, I tell ya. She should be lucky to have me, I'm the only one that will put up with her ass unlike you and your mother."

"What's the matter with you man? Why don't you just help her instead of beating her up? It's because of you that she is addicted to that stuff." I see him scratch his neck constantly and he forces himself to stop.

"Stay out of our business. What we do is none of your concern." He speed walks to the driver's side and drives off in a hurry. I rush to my car and roll down the windows. I look in the back seat and see Jessica passed out into the arms of Kyle.

"Man, I don't think she's breathing." He said. He wipes his forehead and I see he is as nervous and scared as he'll ever be. I drive to the nearest hospital and watch as they pull my sister away in a hospital gondola. I check in and take a seat, from there I call my mother, my sister Jordyn, Demi and waiting for him to answer, my father.