Chapter Seventeen

Pulling up to the club was like pulling up to the Grammy’s… it was crowded, noisy, and you felt like royalty if you were making your way toward the entrance. The paparazzi followed your every move, and security was tight. I flashed my invitation to a large, muscular man with a buzz cut, who vaguely reminded me of a character from a television program that I’d watched as a child on Nickelodeon, something about fairies and pink hats or whatever. He was kind enough to move aside for me after checking my ticket’s authenticity and the confirmation of my name on his guest list. I walked in, bracing myself for anything, or perhaps everything. Things were seemingly fine, and nobody there really seemed to notice me, they were all too preoccupied in their own conversations. I walked to the refreshment table, picking up a glass of wine, sipping on it. I was going to need this if I was going to brave the boys. I thought that I’d talk to each one by one, save Harry for last. The first was typical, Niall was at the other end of the refreshment table stuffing his face with all of the delicious gourmet food. “Niall!” I tapped, then yelled over the music, and he spun around, his big blue eyes opened wide and he threw his arms around me. “You’re alive!” he yelled. “Yeah, I know… I’ll explain later” I yelled in return. “Go find Harry!” Niall yelled as I walked off to find Zayn, who was probably with Perrie, and I was correct. “Zayn!” I said, walking up to him, arms extended. He jumped up and eyeballed me like I was mental. “Ah, so the tabloids did spot you the other day!” he chuckled, embracing me. I was worried for a second there that he had hating me. He and I were never very close, so he wouldn’t have much reason to forgive and forget. We made some small talk before I asked him where Liam was, and he pointed me in the right direction. I found him standing with Danielle, who gasped at the sight of me. “It’s stunning Mikaela!” she chirped. “Thanks! Thanks for your help too!” I smiled, giving her a light hug while Liam stared in awe. “You ARE back?” he asked, grinning and wrapping me up in a big hug, and it was like a burden began lifting off of my shoulders. The boys didn’t hate me, so things were on the right track. Next up came Louis… my brother. He was family. He would understand, right? He had to. I found him on the opposite end of the club, having a drink with El at a booth. I walked up behind him, giving him a soft “Hi Lou!” and he turned around with a glare equivalent to that of two nemesis high school cheerleaders. It was almost sort of cruel. “What gives you the right to be here? You almost destroyed my best friend’s career and hurt mum a lot, as well as the girls, and me. Practically everybody. You’ve hurt a lot of people.” he said coldly. His words stung and pierced through me like a bullet. “I understand… Simon invited me… I’m sorry Lou… I never meant to hurt you or mum or Harry, not anybody. I love you all, that was why I left…” I explained. He brushed it off and turned around. “No excuse.” he said, and El hit his arm. “Lou, she’s your sister! You can’t be mad at her! Apologize right now!” she said. He completely ignored me. I gave Eleanor a mouthed “Thanks for trying.” before walking off, discouraged. Would Harry react in the same way? Should I even bother reconciling with him? I just couldn’t bare the thought of not being in his life any longer.

I made my way through the overcrowded room, getting pushed and shoved here and there by various intoxicated strangers in search of my fiancé.. I spotted Demi Lovato, Josh Hutcherson, Cher Lloyd, Selena Gomez and members from Kings of Leon and The Script as well as Simon - but no Harry. I felt alone in a crowded room, which I’ve heard happens often, but this was a first for me, and my heart ached for love and desired a heavy dose as soon as possible. Somebody at a thirty or so degree angle from me dropped their glass, and I turned to look at who it could be. Some drunken washed out celebrity dropped his wine. No big deal. I looked past him as he bent over to pick up the shards, and time froze right before my eyes. There he was, standing there laughing with a group of guys, looking as charming as ever with his black blazer over a white shirt, with that big, sweet smile and those dimples! His eyes were so inviting, I could just walk over and stare into them for eternity. He didn’t spot me, but he beckoned for me, and I longed for him. Nobody in the room existed aside from him and I, and as I stumbled past the drunk lost in a trance, I stopped short when I witnessed something horrifying. A pretty brunette walked over to him, laying a kiss on his cheek and wrapping herself around him as though she owned him, like he was a pet or something. I wanted to rip her arms of, scream, kick, stomp and make a scene. I shot her a glare that went unnoticed and assuming that was his new girl, I backed up and ran for the hills. A hand stopped me during my attempted escape, stopping me dead in my tracks. “No, you can’t run away again.” said a familiar voice. “Uncle Simon…” I begged. “Do something, say something. Don’t run away from your family again.” he said sternly, and led me to a set of stairs that led to the stage. I asked the DJ to halt the music once Simon took the stage and rummaged through a few rooms backstage before finding one with a supply of instruments. I chose my weapon of choice: an acoustic guitar. Brand didn’t matter, I tuned it and assured that it would do its job while Simon made his announcement. “Tonight we’re here to celebrate the boys, who have come such a long way over the last few years. Each one has excelled and this night is a special piece of One Direction history, because we’re launching yet another tour - the fifth. To celebrate further, I have a sneak preview for those of you who haven’t tuned into the latest season of the X Factor: A very talented young lady who captivated me and each judge on the panel as well as everybody in the audience on the day of her audition is here with us today. I believe that she’ll captivate the hearts if she hasn’t already of each of the boys, as well as all attending tonight. Everybody please welcome our special guest who will be performing for us tonight! Come on stage!” he announced, and I did as I was told. I walked on stage with a guitar in hand, walking to the center where the microphone stand was placed, and adjusted myself. Jaws dropped to the floor and I scanned the crowd for my Harry’s face among them. I found it and his entire face was like a jigsaw puzzle: confusing and difficult to piece together. Before I began my performance he snapped out of it, looking amazed. “I’ll be performing “Used To” by Chris Daughtry.” I said, and began. It was soft, it was pretty. I liked the way that I sang it, not too much power but just enough that it affected the people in the crowd. All eyes were fixated on me, but my eyes were only drawn to Harry the entire time, and in the middle of performing his face kind of scrunched up like he was going to cry, and he made his way up toward the stage, jumping up as I finished performing and everybody in the crowd clapped. He walked up to me, touched my hand and took the microphone from it’s stand, then asked the DJ to play a track. The moment I heard the melody my heart soared. Harry walked up to me, faced me and waited. I knew exactly what he was about to sing… our favorite song from the boys’ first album. Our eyes met and his were twinkling, and I felt my face become fire-engine red and my heart began pulsating.

“Hums are silent, voice is numb

Try to scream out my lungs

It makes this harder

And the tears stream down my face

If we could only have this life

For one more day

If we could only turn back time” he sang.

I wished we could have, and in that instant my guilt was so heavy. I’d hurt this amazing guy standing right in front of me. How could I hurt HIM? What the hell was wrong with me? He loved me with everything he had and I had run away from him…

“You know I’ll be your life, your voice, your reason to be… my love, my heart is breathing for this moment in time… I’ll find the words to say, before you leave me today” he finished. I was breathless, speechless. I knew what needed to be said though. I snatched the microphone from him, tears welling up in my eyes. “I’ll never leave you again Harry!” I said, tossing the microphone down before throwing myself into his arms, latched around his neck. He picked me up, I wrapped my legs around his waist and he cupped my yearning face in his hands and when our lips collided it was like an asteroid had just struck earth. Everything about me burned up and I was tingling, every ounce of my being craved more. It was hot and tenacious, but tender and loving. Not too rough but not too soft, and salty but sweet. With everything tingling, even my mouth felt like we were kissing with pop rocks in our mouths. The moment was flawless, and I held on to this boy for dear life. I was whole again in every way that counted. My heart was whole, my soul was whole, my being was whole. Shivers jolted down my spine and I ran my fingers through his hair, still clinging to him. I wished the kiss could have been everlasting, being in Harry’s arms was a dream, a dream that I didn’t want to wake up from. When he planted my feet on the ground I closed my eyes and just held him. His arms were my safety net, no harm could ever come to me again if he was there to hold me.

************************************************************************************************************

Author's Note: If anybody who reads this happens to actually be enjoying it, please don't be afraid to comment/critique, vote or fan me! I update every night and I'd really love to get more feedback and votes! Thank you to all of my readers! I appreciate it!