Rule 14: Get Informed

PLEASE READ THE BOLD PRINT AT THE END.

~Get Informed~

"Was she pregnant with me?" I asked. A part of me felt that it was me, but a larger part of me knew better.

"No she was pregnant with her very first baby. Sadly, the baby was never born." Cassandra wiped something, that looked very much like a tear, from her eyes.

"Why wasn't the baby born?" A growing lump in my throat was making it harder for me to breathe with each passing moment.

"James had the perfect life and to him the baby ruined that perfection. He could no longer go to college on his football scholarship or jump around to different girls or party all the time. Or at least he couldn't with his father around. You see James's father was a righteous man. When he found out James impregnated a girl he told his son he had to take care of the baby or else he would be disowned," Cassandra paused to rub her eyes.

"But James being James refused to let a baby ruin his life. So he tried to persuade Elena into aborting the baby. When that didn't work he threatened her and finally he acted upon those threats. That is how the abuse started Matthew," There was so much pain in Cassandra's eyes that I could hardly look at her.

"She didn't go to me when the abuse started, though. She didn't go to anyone until James took it too far. He beat her until she was unconscious. When she woke up she went to Matthan, a medical student, who was more than willing to help Elena, his life long crush. After telling Elena that she had lost her baby he went to me. He informed me of what had happened and how we needed to help her," Abigail and Rachel looked lost in their own thoughts when their father was mentioned.

"And so we started to make a plan. We filled the book you found earlier with all of our plans-" Cassandra impatiently began to tap her foot when I interrupted.

"What kind of plans?" I interjected.

"Plans for your mother to escape and plans to land your father in jail," she explained as she pulled out the book, so appropriately named Freedom.

"Since we had two types of plans the book is spilt in half. One half is mine about getting James in jail. Whereas Matthan had the escape plans." Cassandra paused to open up the book.

"Me and Matthan worked together constantly to make a plan. When we finally made the perfect plan it was too late. Matthan, who was keeping an eye on James and Elena, found that Elena was in love with James. Not a puppy love that could be severed easily, but a love that is practically impossible to sever-" Cassandra spit out the word love with so much disgust I felt a bit disgusted myself.

"Did you ever try to fix your relationship with my mom?" I interrupted. The accusation in the statement clear to Cassandra.

"I did everything in my power to fix our relationship. And when that didn't work I tried to save her. What did you do?" Cassandra pale face was tinged red. Her whole body was shaking and her fist were clenched.

My mouth shut at her last accusation. What did I do? I was there to comfort her, right?

As if reading my mind Cassandra continued "Sure you were there to comfort her when I wasn't, but you never stopped the abuse, did you? No of course not! You never even tried to keep your mom safe. The woman who suffered terribly just so you could be here. You who lived instead of your sibling!"

Each word felt like a knife being thrust into my body, each one closer to the heart than the last. Unknowingly, my hand clutched the place where my heart should be.

Cassandra's eyes were drawn to this action and for a spilt second I could've sworn I saw regret in her eyes. She dragged a pale finger over the dust covered Freedom book.

"Anyways needless to say we, Matthan and I, failed our mission to save Elena," Cassandra said. All of a sudden Abigail jumped to her feet. Anger rolled off her in waves.

"No, let's get this straight right now. It was never my dad's "mission" to save your sister. He didn't have any responsibility for what happened to Elena!" While her protests continued to make an eerie echo in the cemetery, Abigail's breaths became heavy and forced.

"So you think your father is completely blameless? Well you're wrong. Matthan was Elena's best friend, well her only friend. Still not enough of a connection between the two? Matthan and me promised my father, as he lay on his deathbed, that we would protect his baby girl no matter what! Both Matthan and me let her down. So don't act like you're father was innocent, because he wasn't." When Cassandra's rant was finished Abigail and Rachel were stunned speechless.

"You were related to her by flesh and blood though. My father wasn't!" Abigail, still determined to protect her father's name, all but screamed back. Her shaking had increased along with her rage.

"So you're saying if you aren't related promises to that person mean nothing. I'm sorry, but in no way would I ever believe that. Promises are sacred. If you have the audacity to break them then you have no honor." Cassandra's voice carried the words 'no honor' far past the cemetery. And with some luck they were carried to my, hopefully still unconscious, father.

"Sadly I broke that promise too. I may not be able to completely fulfill that promise but I will be able to fulfill part of it. I will do so by protecting the last remain of Elena's presence, her son, Matthew." Cassandra's gaze met mine and for a second, just a second, I saw love. Perhaps love for the piece of her sister or love for me. I will never know.

But what I do know is that I finally have the someone willing to fight for me. This belief of mine was only strengthened when Cassandra spoke again.

"And this time I vow on my life that James won't ruin my already tarnished honor."

___________________________

Author's Note: sigh, I know exactly what to write, but I'm struggling to make it interesting and enjoyable. I hope I can update a bit quicker. Until then, how did you like this chapter? Lately a lot has been happening and you are finally figuring out the base of Matt's and Elena's life. What do you think about it all? By the way, this is dedicated to the amazing @XSoulDreamerX for all of her support and for making me my awesome new cover. Thanks again to all of my amazing supporters, however few. Their support means the world to me.

-WrittenDreams3

This is extremely important. In no way do I support abortion. I don't believe anything can ever truly justify the taking of another's life. Life is meant to be lived and who are you to prevent that? So please do not think that my mentioning of abortion meant I support it, because I most certainly don't.

~Question~

What's your favorite meal of the day and why?

Mine is dinner, because I get to spend time with my family and the meals are almost always delicious.