Rule 3: Simplify

~Simplify~

All of a sudden a wave of self consciousness crashed down on me. What if I make myself look like a fool? I know I'm bond to make mistakes, but for some reason I just don't want to make a ton in front of Abigail.

Then again what do I have to lose. What's the point of trying to hide the inevitable- I am stupid along with other negative traits.

"Any tests or homework you need to review?" she asked as she rummaged through her blue backpack.

"I have a vocabulary test today?" I asked more than stated.

She pulled out her iPhone and slid one of the buds of the earphones in my direction "Okay. Here take this," she said.

"Um what am I supposed to do with this?" I was confused about what this earbud had to do with studying for my vocabulary test.

"Put it in your ear," she said in a duh tone.

"I know that, but how will this help with studying for my test?" I rephrased my question.

"I always listen to music when I do work or help other students study. Any

preferences?" She asked. I noticed she talked about herself as little as possible while focusing solely on what had to be done. Never anything personal about anyone or anything.

"Anything is good," I responded. I was interested about what music she enjoyed.

I pulled my vocabulary list out and placed it on on the table. Then the song began to play and I couldn't help, but feel like Abigail was playing this on purpose. Abigail doesn't seem like one to do things for no reason.

I think she was trying to tell me something about herself. I wonder what she is trying to tell me. Her face though remained blank though while her eyes continued to speak that impossible language.

Yeah, yeah, yeah

Mama's sitting in a corner crying

Daddy's upset cause he's out of work again

We don't care we just keep on pretending

Cause no one here feels the need to complain

We're all made of the same material

We're all just variations of the same

But the way we live is beyond surreal

At least that's the way they say stay sane.

The lights are on but no one's home

Am I the only one who feels alone?

Nobody knows the trouble I've seen

No, nobody knows the trouble I've seen

Could you want to, would you even try to?

Nobody knows where this girl's been

No, nobody knows where this girl's been

Gonna fade into the wall

Don't catch me when I fall

Tell me why I gave up believing

That lying is the only way for me

Yeah I have up a lot of dreaming

It took some time

But now I finally see

"Are you even listening to me?" she said irritated while snapping her fingers in my face.

"Huh uh yeah sorry. What were you saying?" I said snapping out of the mini trance.

"Define the word Abjure."

My mind was drawing a blank at the mention of the word. "No idea," I said a bit embarrassed.

"To solemnly announce renounce a belief, idea, or claim; reject."

"It makes perfect sense if you think about it. In latin 'ab' means away and 'jurare' means to swear or to take an oath. What word do you know that has an 'ab' beginning?"she asked.

"Abandon"

"What does it mean?"

"To relinquish or go away from?"

"In a way it still has 'away' present in its definition, right?"

"Yeah," I said it was starting to make sense now.

"Just remember 'ab' means away. Now think of a word that has a syllable that resembles jure?"

"Juror"

"Which means?"

"A member of a jury"

"Or...."

"A person who takes an oath?" I said unsure.

"Again words with syllables that resemble 'jurare' has oath/swear somehow intertwined in the defintion," she explained.

"So basically I put together 'ab' and 'jurare/jure' and then you have abjure definition an all; to swear away from." I said surprise lacing my voice.

Manuel wasn't lying when he said she was good.

"Exactly. It will be easier for you to remember the definition if you have other words to associate it to." She said. Some liveliness seemed to have come back into her face.

What made her give up something she clearly loves?

We continued this process with the other words until the bell rang.

"Thanks," I said full of gratitude for I can't remember the last time I was helped anytime not just in my time of need.

"My tutoring motto: Simplify. Oh and Matt, the song was 'Nobody Knows' by Celeste Buckingham,"She called over her shoulder as she turned to leave for class.

I could've sworn I saw a ghost of a smile on her lips right before she turned. For once I was actually looking forward to taking a test.

The song though, kept replaying in my mind long after my tutoring session with Abigail had finished. Yet another of the many mysteries surrounding Abigail Simmons.

__________________________

Author's Note: Thank you for all of my supporters so far. This chapter is dedicated to Ski221 for being my number one supporter. Also the song is attached called 'Nobody knows' by Celeste Buckingham. Vote, comment, and fan. Luv ya.

-WrittenDreams3

~Question~

What is your favorite season?

Mine is definitely Winter.