Rule 5: Pay Attention

~Pay Attention~

My classes didn't end fast enough in my opinion. Not that it was unusual or anything to feel like that, but my lesson scheduled later today have made me more restless than usual.

That was the only reasoning I could deduce for my apprehension although I don't know why my lessons would affect me that way. I decided to brush it off as merely worry that [Abigail] would figure out my secrets or at least the main secret.

I sighed as I waited for my home room teacher, Ms. O'Brien, to dismiss us, but no she kept on talking about stuff that I honestly didn't care about. All of a sudden something caught my attention.

"Don't forget to do the assignment that was given to you during the assembly yesterday," she spoke in her as always professional way.

Maybe I should have payed attention during that lesson. I'll just ask Abigail about it during our lesson today. Soon enough the bell rang.

Hastily I grabbed my books and made my way to my locker. I shoved all my books carelessly into my backpack as I scurried away to the library.

The familiar smell of ancient books annihilated my senses as I entered the library. My pace quickened when I caught sight of the familiar dark mane. I wanted to question how she got to the library, but I had a feeling she wouldn't respond.

"I'm guessing you need help with the math homework," she said without even looking over her shoulder or wasting time on greetings.

"Uh yeah what was the assignment?" I asked sheepishly as I awkwardly scratched my neck.

"Matthew you do know that if you want to get better you have to start paying attention to the classes and the teachers," she stated although I could see she was trying not to smile.

"Also the assignment is mostly word problems applying what we've learned in class to real world examples," she continued before I could even open my mouth to respond.

"Seriously what kind of assignment is that?" I asked while sitting down in the chair next to her.

"A practical one," she replied easily. She had already gotten the meaning of Matthew pulled up on the computer.

We were about halfway don't with the homework when Abigail spoke.

"Matthew who hurts you?" she asked sincerely yet bluntly. Although I kind of figured this question would be coming soon.

I knew I could trust her something in her eyes just made me believe there was something different about her so I told her.

"My father abuses me and my mom. I actually can't remember a time when I wasn't either verbally or physically abused by him. It got worst as I got older. That was a blessing though since it took most of the attention away from my mom," I felt a huge weight lift off my shoulder. I realized just how suffocating that secret was. Even though I didn't exactly tell the whole story.

A soft sigh from Abigail turned my attention back to her. Surprisingly her eyes showed admiration not the pity I expected. It was the first time I was ever able to read Abigail's eyes.

I'm glad she doesn't pity me, that was the main reason I never told my secret to anyone, that and the fact that I would get the worst beating imaginable if my father found out I told someone.

"You are so strong. I would ask you if you need help, but I have a feeling you wouldn't accept it," she said with a hint of humor lacing her almost normal voice. Yet I suspected that wouldn't be the last I heard of that subject from Abigail.

"I have to get going," I said abruptly as I quickly collected my stuff. I was walking out of the library when her voice interrupted me.

"Bye Matthew," she said then added in a much softer voice "Good luck,"

A small smile tugged at my lips at the last part. I will need luck tonight. He is always the worst when suffering from a hangover and judging by the amount of empty beer bottles laying around the house this morning he will definitely be suffering from a massive hangover.

The scenery passed by quickly and before I knew it I had already arrived at my house. My hands were shaking so badly I could hardly even open the door.

After a few minutes of attempting to open the door it finally swung open. One problem though I didn't open it. Next thing I knew I was on the ground and my back hurt like heck. The door slammed shut with a heavy thud.

"Where have you been wimp?" he asked as he grabbed a hold of my neck and pulled me to my feet.

"When I ask you a question I expect an answer," he spit in my face as he slammed my already sore back up against the wall.

"N-no whe-ere," I just managed to get out.

"Don't lie to me," he roared as his grip tightened on my neck.

His stone grip soon left my neck as someone else's screams filled the air. It was my mom's screams. I tried desperately to fight off the darkness to help my mom, but eventually the darkness took over just as my mom's screams stopped.

__________________________

Author's Note: Hello. I'm so sorry for the long wait and an iffy chapter. I know my writing isn't the best, but it would mean the world to me if you give me some constructive criticism so I can improve. I am constantly editing my works and aiming to do better. So please help me out I promise you won't regret it. Read, vote, comment, and fan. Luv ya all!

-WrittenDreams3

~Question~

What is your favorite ice cream flavor?

Mine is probably cookie dough or a really good chocolate flavor.