Chapter Six

Hi sorry, I know it's been awhile. I work everyday and it sucks and that's not a good enough excuse.

Chapter Six

Sam was lying in his dorm room, flipping through a magazine when there was a knock on his door.

“It’s unlocked.” He called out lazily, not bothering to look up from the page he was reading.

“So, did you finally grow a pair of balls and ask the mystery girl out?”

Sam looked up, startled to see Gina standing in his doorway. Sam also started to grow red when Gina asked him about his balls.

“I’ve always had balls.” Sam muttered and sat up to make room for Gina to sit on his bed next to him. Gina plopped down next to him, making herself at home. Gina has accepted the fact that Sam was pretty much head over heels with Lila and has decided to be his “love coach” which Sam thought was utterly ridicules, but let Gina do it anyway. Besides, she gave him some really good advice sometimes.

“I did what you said I should.” Sam looked down at his hands.

“And?” Gina scooted closer to him and placed a hand on his shoulder and shook him lightly. Sam shrugged her off but chuckled at her eagerness.

“She said yes.” Sam replied causing Gina to let out an excited squeal. Sam ignored her and continued, “We decided that I would pick the movie and she would pick where we eat.”

Gina nodded her head slowly and Sam gave her a confused look. “What?”

Gina shrugged. “Nothing. It just sounds nice. You guys have a perfect relationship.”

Sam smiled at Gina, but then his smile faltered when he remembered how Lila has the tendency to feel distant. Like Sam can’t reach her. Gina caught onto Sam’s falling smile and scooted closer. “Wait, what’s up?”

Sam shrugged his shoulders and tried scooting away without Gina noticing.

“Nothing. I mean, I hope it’s nothing. Sometimes, Lila seems really off. Like she isn’t telling me something, I just don’t know what.”

Gina sat quietly for a moment, deep in thought.

“How does she act?”

Sam cleared his throat. “If I bring up her family or her home life she tries to change the subject. I know it’s not necessarily my business, but I thought that we were close enough to talk about that kind of stuff. And if she’s in trouble, I really want to help her.” Sam snapped his mouth shut, realizing he opened up to Gina more than he usually does.

“Well, stop bringing it up.” Gina replies automatically. Sam stares at her in shock.

“What?” He asks dumbly.

“If she doesn’t want to talk about it, don’t talk about it. It’s that simple.”

“But I’m-“ Sam started before Gina slapped her hand over his mouth. She shook her head sternly. “Stop. Talking. About. It.”

Then, Gina got up and left the room, leaving the door open with Sam sitting on his bed, his eyes as wide as saucers and his mind running wild.

Lila was taking her daily walk through the hallways at the care center. Lila was looking around carelessly, not paying any attention to where she was going.

“Good afternoon Lila.”

Lila jumped and looked forward, staring right at a plaid clad chest. She looked up and met eyes with James. Lila scoffed and took three steps back.

“What are you doing here? I thought that you were set free? All recovered and everything.”

James chuckled, “I’m volunteering with the younger kids. You do realize that you’re in the children’s center, right?” 

Lila rolled her eyes, “yes, I do realize. I mean, I almost ran into you looking at the picture of this butterfly that…” Lila leaned toward the picture on the wall and read out the name, “Mary-Elizabeth drew.”

James chuckled again and nodded his head. Lila shook her head at him and then took a step to her right, trying to get around him.

“How are you doing?” James asked her, blocking her way. Lila ignored him and tried to go to the left, but again, James followed her movement, preventing Lila to get around him again. Lila let out frustrated groan.

“I’m fine. Slowly dying, but fine.”

“Why do you hate me?” James asked Lila softly. Lila looked up at James and felt slightly guilty at how she’s treated him.

She let out a sigh and ran her hand over her face. “I don’t hate you specifically. I hate that you’re free. I hate that you’re cured. You can go outside whenever you want. You don’t have doctors telling you that there’s something wrong with you. You get to live. You get to fall in love.” Lila whispered the last part. James stared at Lila with shock. He was not expecting her to answer him, and truthfully at that.

James opened his mouth but Lila put her hand up. “Don’t say anything. Forget it. I’m going to go check out and leave. By. Have fun with the kids.” She stepped around James, and he let her this time.

Sam was sitting by himself at the beach. In his old usual spot, before he met Lila. Where he would sit and watch her from afar, and wonder what she was like. Sam smiled at the thought of how creepy he actually is. He looked up from his coffee cup in his hand and looked out at the waves. It was a grey day, just like the day he first saw Lila standing in her white gown, staring out at the crashing waves. Sam let his eyes wonder to her spot, and was surprised to see her.

Once again, she was in the white gown and her hair was flying wildly in the wind.

Lila stood with her arms wrapped around her. Sam wasn’t sitting too close to her, but it looked like she was in pain.  Sam almost got up to walk over to her, but he stopped. She probably wanted to be alone right now. She looked troubled and deep into thought. It’s those moments when people usually want to be left alone.

Sam stayed put, but didn’t look away from Lila. Sam hadn’t seen Lila in that white gown in awhile. It flowed around her in the breeze. She looked like an angel.

Sam shook his head. Here he is being a creep again. Sam took a sip of his coffee and looked to the left side of the beach. All the little side restaurants and places to rent surf boards. He used to go sit there all the time, until he noticed Lila.

Sam turned his attention back to where Lila was standing, but when he looked back, she was gone.

Sam got up quickly and walked over to where she had been standing before. When he stood where Lila had been standing, he looked down at the sand and saw what she had traced into the sand.

213 days.

What did that mean? Sam picked up the stick that had been thrown next to the words and circled Lila’s words.

213 days of what? 213 days until what?

Even though Gina had told Sam to stay out of it, there was no way Sam was going to be able to now.

Vote, Comment, Hugs, Smile ♡