e i g h t

"Come on Pedey, let's bring it home," I muttered, anxiously leaning over the bar with my eyes glued to the television screen. It was the bottom of the 12th inning, and the Red Sox had been tied with the hated Yankees for the past 5 innings, forcing them into extras. Pedroia was up to bat, and with 2 outs already recorded, it was showing signs of being an even longer game. I loved my Sox like any Bostonian, but I just wanted to go to sleep at this point.

Pedroia quickly racked up 2 strikes, and I buried my head in my hands.  "Please, I deserve one win over the stupid Yankees tonight for the love of God," I groaned.

Will passed me his drink, "You look like you could use a sip of this."

I gratefully accepted, and took a sip of the dark liquid, which burned a bit as it ran down my throat.  "Rum and coke?" I asked, and he nodded, confirming my suspicions.

As I was passing Will's drink back to him, a roar erupted from Fenway Park right outside, and I quickly looked back up to the screens to see a baseball flying through the air. All 5 of us jumped to our feet as the ball crossed the Green Monster.  "Home run!" I screamed, jumping up and down while hugging Rob.

Letting go of my fiancé, I reached across to high five Julian and Danny, and then turned around to let Will wrap me in a quick hug as well.  He smelled of expensive cologne, and as my head only came up to his chest, his T-shirt was soft against my cheek.

"Victory shots!" Julian exclaimed, passing around tiny cups of vodka.

We counted down from 3, and all tossed back the liquor.  "Screw the Yankees," I smiled, interlacing my fingers with Rob's and leaning my head against the side of his arm. 

"Alright boys, I'm gonna get Hanna home," Rob told the rest of our group, his large hand finding my waist.

"It's past my bedtime," I agreed, "We'll see you guys later."

Julian shook his head, "I swear, you two are like an old married couple."

I laughed, "Love you too, Jules."

Rob and I walked out of the bar hand-in-hand, heads ducked to hopefully avoid detection by the boisterous bar patrons celebrating the win. Just as we reached the door, a man standing outside gave us a strange look, and I in turn looked up at Rob.  An unspoken agreement passed between us, and we both started power-walking through the throngs of people.  It wasn't soon enough, however, and I heard, "Hey, aren't you Gronk?" coming from behind me.

"Hanna, get on my back," Rob looked down at me.  I laughed and rolled my eyes, but he held out his arms, a completely serious look on his face.  "I'm not joking.  Honey, you're tiny and I think we all know I can get through this crowd a hell of a lot faster if I'm carrying you."

I shook my head as I climbed onto his back, "I swear, we are both 4 years old at heart."

"Maybe that's why we go so well together," Rob smiled, turning his head to kiss my cheek.

"Now onward, my noble steed!" I exclaimed.

Rob got a nasty gleam in his eye, "Not the first time you've ridden me, huh?"

I smacked him lightly in the side of the head, "You're a total idiot."

"I know."  And with that, he charged off through the crowd, both of us laughing our asses off with pure enjoyment.