[17]

"So, Anthony," Ruth's mother paused to take a sip of her soup. "Forgive me for asking, but what is it you do?"

Racetrack straightened up a bit. "Well, ma'am, I sell newspapers for The World." He said proudly.

"Oh, so you're a newsboy? Do you like it?" Alice inquired.

Alice and her mother had many heated arguments about what she was to do with her life. She wanted to be a entrepreneur, and open her own business, but her mother wanted her to get married and stay home.

"I love it. We're all one big family. It sometimes don't even feel like work." He grinned, before dipping his spoon into the soup and drinking it.

"Good. You see, I believe when one is working, they must love what they do." Alice said, looking directly at her mother.

"Can you both stop this fighting?" Ruth glared at them, and they both fell silent. "We have a guest."

"I'm sorry, Anthony. How's your soup?" Ruth's mother tried to change the subject.

"It's very good, Mrs. Davis." He said meekly, uncomfortableness creeping up on him.

The rest of dinner was relatively silent, a few words here and there.

After everything was cleaned up, Ruth dragged Racetrack out of the apartment and into the fire escape outside the window. She slammed the window shut, and sat down, her legs dangling off the railing.

Racetrack sat beside her, as they looked down at the busy Manhattan streets.

"I'm sorry dinner was such a disaster." Ruth groaned, putting her head in her hands. "Alice's always trying to start an argument."

"It's okay, Ruthie, honest." Racetrack reassured her, rubbing small circles on her back.

A moment of silence passed over them, as they stared at the city.

"Since we're on the topic, what do you wanna do with the rest of your life?" Race questioned, pretending he wasn't as interested as he was. His mind filled with 'what ifs' and 'whys?' He felt like Ruth was a mystery all in herself.

"I haven't given much thought to it, to be honest." Ruth admitted.

"I imagine I'd like to see more than just the same few blocks before I get old. It's so crowded here." Ruth sighed. "Geez, now I sound like Jack." She cracked a smile.

"That sounds wonderful Ruthie." Race said thoughtfully. He hadn't given much thought to his future either. He assumed he'd work as a newsie until something else came along, but who knew how long that would take. He knew he would never be able to give Ruth the lifestyle she grew up with, and it broke his heart. She'd find some other guy that could spoil her and shower her with gifts, and leave him in the dirt. He shook his head to clear those thoughts. He thought to himself, Ruth would never abandon him, right?

"Maybe go on an adventure, before getting a nice job and settling down. I'm not sure." Ruth contemplated. "What about you?" She asked.

"I don't know." Race said. "An adventure sounds fun." He grinned widely at Ruth, who snuggled closer into his side. "Any place in mind?"

"I've always wanted to go to Coney Island and go to the beach..." Ruth trailed off, blushing a little.

"That's nice." Racetrack hummed in agreement. He had been expecting something big and grand like Chicago or Los Angeles. Not Coney Island. But, he'd do anything Ruth said.

They sat in silence for a moment, before the window was thrown open behind them.

Sarah stuck her head outside, smiling at the pair that jumped apart when they saw her. "Mother says it time for Anthony to go home."

Ruth thanked her coldly, before nearly pushing Sarah back inside. The two of them climbed back inside and walked to the front door. Ruth walked him to the front of the building, her hand latched in his.

"Goodnight, Ruthie." Racetrack smiled, planting a kiss on her forehead.

Ruth smiled, hugging him around the torso. "See you tomorrow, Race." She said softly, before he strolled down the streets, getting lost in the crowd.

When Ruth finally made her way into the apartment, her mother was sitting in the couch, knitting needles and a ball of yarn in her lap.

"Anthony seems like a nice boy..." Her mother said simply.

"He is." Ruth said, not sure what her mother was hinting at.

"Sit down." Her mother pat the cushion next to her. Ruth warily sat down, eyeing her mother.

"I believe your father would have liked him, mostly." Her mother said nonchalantly.

"What are you trying to say, mother?" Ruth suddenly blurted, earning a glare.

"I'm just saying, you two seem awfully close," Her mother said, focused on her knitting.

"I'm going to bed. Goodnight." Ruth said, leaving her mother and her innuendos alone.

As Ruth laid in bed, she began to think.

What would become of her and Race's futures?

A/N: Shorter chapter mainly because I didn't know how to end it. Next one should be up soon. Have a great day!