[4]

A/N: Hey, people, how are you all? I changed the age problem with Ruth later in the story. She is 17. Sorry for any confusion.

Racetrack and Ruth ran and ran, until they were out of breath. They stood at the entrance to the Brooklyn Bridge, and Racetrack quickly led her over to the railing. She stared in awe as she saw the water way below her. He smiled at her, admiring the way she looked at the water with pure wonder and interest. All of the other girls he had met were too interested with themselves, and didn't care much about the beauty of New York.

"I's got something else to show ya." Racetrack said, and they walked across the Brooklyn Bridge, drinking in each new sight. Unconsciously, Ruth laced her fingers with Racetrack's making him smile like an idiot.

They soon made it to the other side of the bridge. When passing by two Brooklyn newsies, Racetrack tipped his hat, and they nodded. They walked for thirty minutes, weaving throughout Brooklyn.

Racetrack walked with confidence and determination, holding Ruth's hand as she grew nervous as they walked down an alley way. They stopped, and Racetrack let go of her hand.

"Here ya go." He motioned towards a fire escape ladder.

"Are you sure?" Ruth said, raising an eyebrow.

Racetrack started to climb up, "C'mon, Ruthie." He kept climbing his hands gripping the metal poles tightly.

Ruth carefully put her foot on the bottom ring, and slowly began to follow him up. Soon enough, the two of them got to the roof, and sat down.

Race sighed, throwing his arm over her shoulders. She leaned closer to him, watching the Brooklyn skyline. The rooftop they sat in was higher up than the buildings surrounding it, so they had a clear view in every direction.

They sat like that, not talking for ages. Racetrack took a match out of his pocket, struck it against the tile of the roof and lit his cigar. He looked down at Ruth, who was still in awe as she watched a flock of birds fly over the bright blue sky.

Ruth put her head on Racetrack's shoulder, making him smile widely.

"It's beautiful." Ruth sighed.

"Yes, you are." Racetrack wanted to say, but he stopped himself. "Yeah, It is."

Ruth sat up, and he felt a small pang in his heart when she took her head off his shoulder, "where did you even find this place?" She asked.

"A friend showed me." Racetrack made a mental note to thank Spot later.

"Oh," She hummed, pitting her head back. He took his arm off her shoulders, and laced his fingers with her small ones. She blushed slightly, hiding her face from him.

"So.." He trailed off, taking the cigar out of his mouth for a moment. "Tell me about yourself."

"Where do you want to start?" Ruth laughed lightly.

"The beginning. Who is Ruthie Davis." Racetrack smirked.

"Well, I was born on March 31st, I'm 17, my parents are Henry and Mary Davis, and I have a little sister, Sarah, and an older sister, Alice." Ruth hurriedly explained.

"What do your parents do?" Racetrack asked, trying to keep her talking. He loved the sound of her voice.

"My dad's a manager for The Sun, and my mom stays at home. She used to be a nurse, though. Met my father when he broke his wrist." Ruth said, watching as the sun slowly set beneath the city.

"What about you?" She asked, looking up at him slightly.

"I'm 18, my name's Anthony Higgins, but the boys call me Racetrack cause of my obsession of the races." Racetrack explained.

"My mudda took off when I was little, and father left soon afta. I had a little sister, and we was sent to live with our aunt in Queens. She kicked me out after I let her dogs loose on the neighborhood." Racetrack laughed quietly, but had a feeling of sadness wash over him.

"Race, I'm sorry.." Ruth looked at him with pity and remorse.

"Nah, happened a long time ago." He waved off. "Anyway..." he trailed off, "what's it like workin' at The Sun?" He asked. She shifted, and put her head in his lap, their intertwined hands on her stomach.

"Oh, it's interesting. I work next to Katherine. She usually reviews plays and shows, while I like the more action packed things." She went on to explain her job and all of its details.

They sat like that for hours, until it began to get dark, and stars popped into the sky.

"I better get you home now," Racetrack said, as they stood up, and walked back to the fire escape.

She followed, going down first, and walking hand in hand with him as they strolled back to the Brooklyn Bridge. He nodded at two new newsies that stood guard at the bridge, and they let them pass without any remarks or comments.

The walk back to Ruth's apartment was too short for Racetrack's taste. They stood outside the door to the lobby, still holding hands tightly.

"I guess this is goodbye." Racetrack said sadly, gazing up at the multistory building.

"I guess so.." Ruth muttered, "I'll talk to Katherine tomorrow, and figure out if she got the interview. I'll see you soon, okay?" Ruth smiled hopefully.

"Yeah," Racetrack looked at her face in curiosity.

He slowly leaned forward, and she did the same. Before they knew it, their eyes closed and their lips met. She took her hand out of his grip, and threw them over his neck, bringing him down to her height a little bit. He dropped the cigar on accident, and his hands wrapped around her waist.

It seemed as if sparks had gone off as they stood there for a moment. Ruth pulled away, her face red from blushing and the lack of air. She smiled softly at him, before giving him a small peck on the lips, and walking inside her apartment complex.

Racetrack Higgins stood there, motionless for a moment, staring at the door. He took his hat off his head, and panted for air. As he walked back to the Newsboys Lodge, all he could think about was his Ruth.