Day...?

Day...?

 (Part 1)

Water fell out of the sky in torrents. The wind roared, attacked my hair and whipped it about. I wanted this all to be a dream, a nightmare or even death if it meant being free from all this. The day had been robbed and replaced with the black abyss. The moon was the only bit of light to appreciate, glaring over me. Every muscle inside me was worn; every droplet of energy had been drained out of me.

The ground felt softer than concrete, drenched, and my clothes had soaked in a lot of moisture. My neck was crooked at a painful angle and a bolt of pain shot through my spine when I tried to sit upright. As an alternative, I catalogued my surroundings. Barely able to distinguish anything past the thickening fog, I could just about make out thin stones looming out of the fog. Gravestones.  Which meant this was a cemetery. 

A beam of light shone from the darkness. “Evening, Sunshine,” Oryan squatted in front of me, shining a flashlight in my eyes... I used my hand as a shield. His face was ashen, eyes as black as the night and the tattoo on his neck had shaped into a red snake.

He pressed a cold finger to my forehead and applied pressure. I winced. “Ooh...looks bad. Sorry about that, I didn’t mean to hit you that hard, but I will the next time you try anything.” he warned. He drew back and sucked my blood off his fingers, like a treat. "Mmm..."

On the way out of the hospital I'd tried getting securitys' attention by signalling  a cry for help. That failed. And now, more people were dead. The trip was nasty as the vampires got hungry; all I could remember was...blood...everywhere. 

“Why am I here?” I asked, beginning to think this was some kind of a joke. Or taunt.

He switched off the flashlight, becoming one with the blackness. “Because I brought you here.” he’d emerged at my side, making me jump. I wasn’t laughing. Nothing about this was funny.  Despite the weather, I wasn’t even cold. In fact, nothing in me bothered about the rain or the wind. I just wanted to understand why I was the one caught in the web, why I was the one that was involved in everything.

“Where’s Jayden and Kristi?”

“They’re alive.

“And Storm?”

 “No longer in my hands.”

"What do you mean?"

"I mean he's an old man, he can take care of himself."

"If you hurt him--" I was cut off by his laughter.

"That wouldn't nearly be possible,"

I set my face straight and kept my head clear.  Some clouds cleared and the moon’s light settled everything in a soft glow, enough to let me see him. "So...you're one of them?"

He casually swept back onto a rock, locking his fingers behind his head. His eyes shimmered like  glass. “Yes. And it’s quite refreshing. I call my own shots.”

“ Erica, you mean.” 

“Well, what’s a guy in love to do?”  Love? I thought. He chuckled. “We’re capable of that, just not outside of our own kind—usually.”

“Were you always...?”

He caught my eyes. “Not always, but if you mean from when we first acquainted—yes, I was.”

“All this time...you had been planning...this?”

“Yes. And it was easy. You were screaming for some comfort. I’ll admit, it was sorta fun, but also sorta a drag. You tend to go on and on about things people don’t care about—“ he paused, covering his mouth. “Oh—sorry. I shouldn’t read your mind too often, should I?”