Day ten

I kept having these dreams. They never held one meaning, and yet, I kept holding on to them, remembering every portentous detail, every emotion I felt: confusion, worry, apprehension and helplessness.  I laughed almost despairingly, running a hand through my dark locks, wincing as it got caught on one of the strands before I noticed the spot next to me vacant. I knew straight away that he’d left; I was only disappointed that he’d not even left a trace of his being here at all, no wrinkled sheets, no lingering scent... just plain, smooth nothing. It was almost as if I’d spent the entire night alone. I tried convincing myself that he’d only gone for a jog or something that meant he’d definitely be back—but who was I really kidding? He’d left. I’d even checked each and every room the suite had for items he owned, every clothing compartment, and every safe—something to show me that I wasn’t losing my mind, that he was here and everything I saw, everything he told me—was true.  I started to really think. Was he even here? Was I even here?

But then, he must have been because I was still in his white shirt, because that kiss...that real, avid kiss—I didn’t imagine it, it definitely happened, and the way my lips still tingled from it proved me right. But that didn’t matter so much, what mattered was how he’d disappeared, left me on my own to deal with things, things I wasn’t even sure about. I’m in danger he says—from what? The only thing near dangerous was himself—a prehistoric, blood-thirsty Vampire—and seeing as he wasn’t around, I’d considered myself safe. I was going home. So my first step was to get dressed, disposing of his ridiculously white shirt, throwing it onto the bed and stretching on my dried out clothes from yesterday. I wondered into the kitchen again, in search of some source of food, astounded once I found a bright yellow post-it note on the fridge.

Something came up. Stay here.

He wanted me to stay here? In this big, empty suite with supposed danger looming in my future? There was no way I could have stayed there; I couldn’t really believe that being so far from home (i.e. a few miles) was keeping me safe. I had a right mind to leave. The more I thought about everything, the more I found it absurd. A prehistoric vampire with a crazy ex-girlfriend—scratch that—ex-wife is after the one he falls for. I shook my head. If it wasn’t me; I had no idea what he was even protecting me from. I basically just got thrown into the messy mix of it all. I had to try and conjure a believable excuse to explain my sudden disappearing act, starting from: me getting drunk and passing out in a dessert, and ending with something like: ‘I just hung out with some friends’.  

I had to get out of there.

So there I was, sliding into a cab when the driver decides he wants to make conversation, talking about pickles? I had to endure his gobbledygook for about a minute before a car came short behind us and the driver blurted obscenities.

 I hunched forward, scooting to the edge of the seat, “If I give you ten more dollars will you at least talk and drive?” I asked, patiently, annoyed at the way he pretended to think about it before smoothing his forefinger and thumb together. I reluctantly handed over two tens, swaying it just shy of his grip, meeting his eyes to make sure he knew I was serious when I said, “Now step on it.” and like a pet, he did, launching us onto the freeway at once. I threw my head back, hoping to soothe my sudden headache and closed my eyes to enjoy the engine’s pulse. For a while, I stayed like that, just letting the calm and tranquil feeling take me over, serving to wash away the loitering memory of Storm. But as soon as I was sure I’d forgotten about him, I only thought about him again...

“She’s my wife,”

“She’s after the one I fall in love with.”

“How did you get that scar?”