Ten

Next morning, I managed to get up early enough that the boys were still snoring, soundly asleep, which I was grateful for. A few moments of peace before having to tell Jack the bad news was all I needed.

Careful to remain quiet, I rolled off the bed, wincing as it creaked with my movements. As my feet hit the the cold floor, I stretched my body, softly groaning as my sleep-stiffened muscles protested. Bending down, I snatched my boots out from under my bed and grabbed my extra shirt and vest that was hanging from Albert's bunk, the bed over mine. Keeping my footsteps light, I shuffle out of the room, careful of the squeaky spots in the wood, into the bathroom.

Since it was empty, I forgo the stalls and quickly fumble with unbuttoning my shirt, eyes still heavy with sleep, and switch shirts, letting the one I was wearing fall to the floor. Pulling the collar up, I sniff to check if the shirt smells. Satisfied that it was decent, I throw on the vest but leave it unbuttoned. The weight of the fabric is a small comfort against the morning chill. It would warm up by noon but the air is still cold whenever the sun wasn't shining brightly.

Hurriedly, I try to comb through my curly hair to shake out the knots the best I can. Giving up, I just let it hang free, a few curled strands fall in front of my face. Walking over to the water basin, I grab a rag, soak it, and wash my face, pleased as yesterday's dirt disappears. Turning, I scope up my shirt from where it lays on the floor, tempted to just lay on the floor and go back to sleep, and head out of the bathroom.

Deciding I had some extra time, I walk back to my bed, checking to make sure the guys still asleep, and lift up the corner.  Spying it right where I hid it, I reach out with my free hand and grab the book, the worn cover felt smooth in my hand.

"Books?" A sleepy voice calls out.

My body jerks in surprise at the sound, dropping the mattress, and my head bangs against the pole connecting the top and bottom bunks. I bit my tongue in an attempt to silence my cry of pain when my head connects with the pole. Whipping my head up and rubbing the sore spot of the side of my skull, I glare up at the boy leaning over the side of the bed.

"Albert! Don't do that. Ya scared tha crap outta me!" I hiss, attempting to keep my voice down.

"What ya doing up so early? Go back ta sleep."

"Oh hush it. You go back ta sleep."

Groaning, Albert pushes himself up and drops over the side of the bed, landing with a "thump" beside me. Leaning back against the bed, Albert rubs the sleep from his eyes, his dark red hair shifts in front of his face without his cap holding it back. Glancing at the window leading to the fire escape and then back to Albert, who was now sitting on my bed half-asleep, I huffed out a breath and decided that I wasn't getting to read today before joining Albert at my bed.

"So how's it go with Harlem yesterday?" I quietly asked as I sat down next to Albert and set the book down on my lap, the bed dipped with both our weight.

Letting out a breathe, Albert braced his hands on either side his body and leaned forward. "I hafta tell ya. It ain't good Books. No one wants ta help out without Brooklyn." Albert said, defeated.

Leaning my head against his shoulder, I tried to apologize. I felt like this was all my fault. "I know I said this last night but Ise sorry. I had ta go and open ma big trap and ruin everythin'."

Albert's arm shifted around my back to pull me closer. With a sigh, I kept my head resting against him and wrapped my arms around him, the book forgotten in my lap. Albert always gives the best hugs. And considering I'm still sleepy and feel bad about yesterday, a hug from Albert is just what I needed.