Three

Staring straight ahead  keeping my pace fast, I struggle to ignore David trailing behind me. I actually began to tolerate him as the silence hung between us.

Then the kid had to open his mouth.

"So why do they call you Books?" He blurts out.

I turn back to look at him. Then I turn back around never breaking my stride.

"Because I like to read." I say curtly.

"Well what's your actual name?"

"Books." I refuse to give up anything.

"No I mean what was your name before Books?" He persists.

Whipping around I put my hand on his chest stopping him. Stepping up I try to get in his face as much as possible. However, Considering the fact that he's a good 8-9 inches taller than me it didn't work as well as I wanted it to. Although the small spark of fear and surprise in his eyes seem to prove different.

"Now you listen to me. What my name was is not any of your business. And I don't like answering questions. So unless you need to know something about selling papers, don't ask." I snarl.

His face fills with surprise as well as confusion making me pause. The confusion wasn't because I snapped at him- he's already used to it. My eyes widen when I realize that I hadn't spoken like a Newsie to him. Avoiding his stare, I rip my hand off his chest marching away before he could ask anymore questions.

Well I guess I don't have to worry about covering my voice around him.
Shrugging to myself, I didn't care. Let him hear me. That way I can yell at him proper. And I doubt he would actually tell the boys.

Reaching the bridge I could already see people busling to and fro. Claiming my spot at the corner of the street where it meets the bridge. I turn to David and pull a pape out from my bag.

"So the first thing you have to remember is Headlines don't sell papes, Newsies do."

Waving my pape in the air, I shout out confidently , "Terrifyin escape from burnin inferno! Ya heard it right here folks! Read all 'bout it!"

Two gentleman and a lady walk up to buy the papes. I fold the papes so they can't read the headline as I hand them over. Smiling politely, I pocket their coins in return and wave them on.

"You just lied!" David protested, eyes staring incredulously.

Snickering, I respond nonchalantly, "No I didn't. I told them they heard it right here and they did."

"My father taught me not to lie."
So naive. Does he think we really sell papes by telling the truth? The truth bores people. And bored people don't buy papes.

Holding out another pape, "Did your father ever teach you not to starve?" I counter. I wait.

David seems to wrestle with his emotions- abandon his father's teachings or lie to earn money to support his family? Groaning, he seizes the pape out of my hand. Spying a man walking by, he races after him, "Paper!Paper! Evenin paper here " but the man waves him off and rushes away.

David calls after him, "Sir. Sir!" but gives up when he's no longer in sight.

Eyebrows raised, I place my hands on my hips.

"Sing em to sleep why don't ya Pretty Boy?" I ask, stifling laughter.

Shoulders slumped, he turns back to me ignoring my importu nickname.

Parading over, I stop halfway to call out a headline. Nodding at the lanky man who hands me a coin, smirking the rest of the way. 

Lightly smacking his shoulder as I saunter around him "Let me tell you a secret. The truth doesn't interest people. The truth doesn't sell headlines." I halt after circling around and glimpse up.