XV. FAMILY

˜˜˜

˜˜˜

THE UNEASY STONE in the pit of my gut grows bigger and heavier with each passing hour. Many, maybe hundreds of unsuspecting people will be killed today. Something will be taken from them today, and it won't just be their livelihoods. What strikes me the most about this situation is that they don't even know that today is their last day on earth. I pray to god they are all at peace with life, though that is an impossible request. No one is at peace with this life anymore. 

I pack cans of food into her bag slowly, not wanting her to go. As she cleans her gun, my aunt Tara watches me from across the room, knowing that I am purposely delaying this process. 

"Reese," She starts, "We could use you today." 

I just shake my head. I will not be a part of something like that this time, because I don't want to end up on the wrong side of the fence again. I don't want any more enemies, for I am not a fighter. I wouldn't have what it takes to do what these people do, not after last time. I wish I could be stronger, but I am not. The only reason I have made it this far is the little girl that sits on the floor, banging two plastic cups together. 

The sound of the zipper closing fills the air between my aunt and me. I know what she really wants. 

"You're still going to leave. It doesn't matter if I come or if I stay," I say, not looking at her. The clicking from her putting her gun back together stops. She sighs, then I hear her footsteps echo slightly against the walls as she nears me. I look up and see her standing on the other side of the island, her brown eyes burrowing into mine. 

"Reese," She says with a pathetic hitch in her voice. My eyes unglue from hers and instead focus on the bag on the counter in from of me. I wish she never had to see me cry. 

"Hey," She says again, only this time the voice comes from my right next to me. She stands on my right side, so all she can see are my scars, "I am not leaving forever, I am coming back." 

I shrug my shoulders as the corners of my mouth twitch down. 

"We all have jobs around here, you know I have to go and do my job," She continues while putting her hand on my forearm. I finally turn to face her, hoping she will pick up on the emotion in my eyes. 

"I wish you didn't have to go," I say, finally picking out one of the many thoughts flying through my brain. 

"I wish you would just come with me," She snaps, using the sassy tone that I am so accustomed to, "If you stay, we won't see each other for two weeks. Two whole weeks. Reese, we just found each other," Her voice drops back down to its regular tone, "I can't lose you again. Not again. Losing you and Lilly and Meghan was the worst thing I have ever had to go through. And now that you're here..." 

I take Tara's hand into mine when her voice suddenly gets caught behind the lump growing in her throat. Her breathing staggers as she opens and closes her mouth, wanting to continue. She doesn't need to say another word, for I already know. I squeeze her hand as she quickly dries her eyes with the sleeve of her jacket before the tears fall free. A world of unspoken words passes between us, whistling through the gaps left in our hearts by the the sharp blade of grief.