16- Jessica's Origin Story

JESSICA'S POV

'Mum I don't want to go, please don't make me' I pleaded with my mother as she hurriedly packed my clothes into a suitcase

'It's not my choice Jessica, you've been chosen, I'm sorry this is your destiny' she frowned running out of the room to grab more things

My father walked into the room, stake in hand, 'here Jessica take this' he told me handing it over

'I don't want it' I replied placing it down on my bed

'It's been passed down through generations in our family Jessica, it's very special and now that power has been passed down to you' he informed me

Another man walked in, my watcher. He was wearing a perfectly cleaned suit and looked at his watch, 'please Jessica get ready, this is the moment I have been training you for' he announced 

'Mr. Braxton I am not ready! I can't fight the vampires' I sobbed

'Jessica stop those tears!' my father snapped at me 'you were born to do this'

My mother came rushing back in with tears on her cheeks, 'here's some sweaters Sweetheart, I heard it can get cold in Sunnydale' 

'Don't be ridiculous Beatrice, Sunnydale's right over the Hell Mouth, it's probably radiating the heat upwards' my father shouted at her throwing the sweaters across the room.

'Please stop' I cried in front of them

. . .

'So where you heading?' the man to my right on the plane asked me

'I'm going to Sunnydale' I replied to him

'Interesting vacation choice' he laughed

'Not a vacation, I have business there' 

After pretending to fall asleep the man to my right finally stopped asking questions and attempted to hit on the variety of flight attendants, who all laughed along at his corny jokes. Again and again he would stop them before they walked passed our aisle, until one stopped on her own accord. 

'Excuse me Miss Lancaster? Seat 32?' she politely asked me

'Ah yes, that's me' I replied slowly and confused

'There is a phone call for you, please follow me' 

I followed the flight attendant down the aisle and to the back where the flight attendants prepared food trolleys. Another flight attendant passed the phone to her, who passed the phone to me.

'Hello?' I asked wryly

'Hello, Jessica it's Mr. Braxton' my watcher told me

'Oh, is something wrong?'

'Yes, actually I am afraid something is wrong Jessica. I hate to be the one to inform you but after your parents dropped you at the airport last night, they were attacked. Drained of all their blood. I am sure you know what did this and if this isn't enough proof that you need to fight them then I don't know what is' 

'Thank you Mr. Braxton, goodbye' I said coldly handing the phone back to the flight attendant and returning to my seat.

'A phone call on a plane? Must have been important, was it about your business?' the man to my right asked me

'Yes, I have been promoted, I had just the right fire they were looking for'

. . . 

I left Buffy's house before the rest of the gang did. This wasn't what I signed up for. Now I think about it I didn't sign up for anything! This destiny thing sucks. How could she be in love with a vampire? And this Drusilla girl is Spike's ex and everyone's just so cool about everything. I mean this is all wrong. Buffy should not be dating a vampire. I was sent here to kill vampires and now I have to team up with them and kill this really evil vampire whose back from the dead. 

As I rushed to my hotel room I felt an intense chill run through my body, I slid my hand down to my leg to grab the stake in my boot.

'Hi' said a mysterious voice

I quickly turned around and a tall man stood in front of me, he had dark hair and a small smile.

'Hi' I couldn't help myself replying in a girlish way

'Sorry I didn't mean to frighten you' he said 'I just saw you coming and couldn't help admire your beauty' 

'Oh... Um, I mean thank you' I smiled sweetly at the ground

'Your golden brown hair is gorgeous and the way the loose curls frame your faces, you look effortless' he said stepping closer to me and studying my face 'flawless'

I had never had a boyfriend, or really even spoken to a boy before. When this man talked his voice flowed so beautifully it felt like I was floating on a cloud and that my feet weren't even touching the ground anymore.

'I'm sorry' he said again 'you were on your way home?'

'Ah no, I mean yes, I mean to my hotel room' I stuttered 

'If it's not too late for you, we could grab coffee?' he asked sweetly 

'Oh my god yes, I mean sure why not' I blurted out