Chapter Thirty-Nine

Beeping fills my ears and I groan in annoyance. My eyes are heavy so I stay quiet and keep them closed. I know I'm not dead by that annoying beeping, and the pain in my body. The noise of shoes squeaking fills my ears, but I stay dead silent, curious at what is about to happen. A large hand holds my hand, and spark erupt at the contact telling me who it is, Lucca. I want to open my eyes but they don't budge so I stay unmoving as he speaks.

"Please wake up mon chéri. I'm sorry I just got here, my father was feeling ill so I figured I could visit him, but then I heard the message you left me. I can not live without you. That message you sent me drove me almost to insanity. I had people searching far and wide for you. As soon as I heard your message I thought I'd be back in time to save you. I'm so sorry I wasn't on time. Please don't leave me, I need you. I love you Thea, please open your eyes, or give me a sign you're okay." My heart speeds up involuntarily at his words, he loves me? The beeping becomes more quick, and I realize it's my heart monitor. Lucca lets go if my hand and starts yelling for people to come aid to me. I try to open my eyes but they don't budge.

I try harder and soon bright light floods my eyes and I groan in annoyance. Lucca is back to my side but I raise my hand so he can hush up. I blink a couple times and my eyes readjust to the light and I squint at him. I never thought I'd say this, but Lucca looks awful. His eyes are bloodshot, his hair disheveled, his eyes have large bags under them, and he's wearing sweatpants and a tight tee shirt that look as if he hasn't changed in awhile. Even with all of that, he still looks handsome, but awful.

"I'm right here, relax." Lucca gives me a stern look before kissing my forehead.

"Don't you dare do that to me ever again Thea, I mean it."

"Yes sir." I say and salute him making him fall back in his chair with a smile.

"What happened to Frank and Mark?" He gulps before turning away. Did he find out what I did to them and now he fears I'm an uncontrollable monster? A frown graces my face and Lucca's eyes soften and he grabs my hand.

"Hey, I'm mad because they are alive. Frank is a paralyzed from him neck down. Mark, well he's going to be able to walk, he'll just have to eat soft things for a long time because they had to remove parts of his intestines because there was so much damage. They are being treated for their wounds at a prison hospital."

"Why are they in prison? Did they find out what they did to me?"

"In a way. A man was house sitting for his brother when he heard screams from the warehouse you were held. He called the police and they saw you beaten, tortured, and shot while Frank held the gun and Mark had a bloody tool next to him. They asked your family and Frank's family and found out all that has happened. David told them all that his father and your father did to you. He said he was so sorry, he didn't know they would do anything this extreme. He thought they would just take advantage of you, not severely torture you."

I nod my brain comprehending all of this is. I lay my head back and close my eyes, while Lucca's hand rubs my hand. His other hand comes up to my nasty, grease hair and runs his fingers through it and I smile before drifting off to a peaceful sleep, for the first the time in a long time.

——

"I'm fine, back off!"

"Thea, you're on crutches, you can't play with Bear!" Lucca says dumbfounded at my request. I pat his chest before throwing the crutches at him and hobbling over to an excited Bear who is sitting like a good boy.

"Come here buddy!" Was all I needed to say before Bear comes barreling towards me, but Lucca has Bear stop before he can get to me. I groan and walk to Bear and start petting him. He pushes me over in excitement and my shirt rises up, scars of my torture showing. Lucca's eyes become livid as they narrow at my stomach. I push my shirt down and roll so my stomachs facing the ground to push myself up. My shirt rides up again and I realize all the scars from the whip lashes are showing. Lucca starts tracing them, and I don't know how to feel about it. I push myself up and pull my shirt down before grabbing my crutches from Lucca and marching inside.

"Thea, you're so beautiful. No scar could change that. They make you more beautiful, they show how strong you are, remember that mon amour."

"Thank you Lucca, I love you." I say wholeheartedly, before continuing to the door. Once I open it, the home is filled with the smell of cookies and I crutch quickly to the kitchen to see my mother, Phoebe, and Rachel cooking in the kitchen. I don't wait for permission but grab all the cookies I can fit in my hands and mouth and set them on a napkin on top of the counter.

"Really Thea? At least pretend you're a lady."

"I'd rather not Mum, but thanks for the suggestion." I reply before shoving a large cookie in my mouth and opening my mouth to show her the chewed bits.

"Mmmm, delicious!" I chirpily reply.

"They can be delicious with your mouth closed Thea. You're not a pig, stop acting like I raised you in a barn."

"Okay Mum, whatever you say Mum." She glares at me playfully and I put my hands up in surrender.

"I'll stop, I'll stop." I say as I surrender before shoving another delicious cookie in my mouth.