Chapter Twenty-Eight

As the jet starts to land, Lucca stirs and flops around so his face is facing me. I flick his forehead, and his face scrunches up which makes me let out a giggle. He shifts again before opening his beautiful chocolate eyes. They stare at me through this thick coal lashes, and I feel like I'm melting inside. He smiles up at me and me and I swoon internally, and give him a smile back. His hand comes up and grabs mine, before placing a feather light kiss on my palm. I try to keep the blush off my face, but I fail miserably. Lucca comes up and whispers in my ear quietly.

"You're so breathtakingly beautiful." I place my hand on the back of his neck, and slowly run my fingers up through his soft hair. He leans into my touch, closing his eyes once more. The loud intercom breaks us from our drowsy state.

"Mr. Maxwell, we have landed." We both sit up, straightening ourselves out before unbuckling the seatbelts. As soon as I stand up I stretch out, my arms going above my head and my back cracking. I let out a satisfied sigh while Lucca has an expression of horror on his face.

"Wha-why would crack your back like that, and enjoy it?" He sputters, completely shocked at what I just did. I roll my eyes and shake my head before patting his shoulder and walking back to where we set our bags. I grab my small duffel bag and my water bottle before heading back to the entrance. The sun shines and I close my eyes, and shield my eyes from the sun as I step out.

My vans squeak against the rubber of the stairs but I ignore the wretched sound as I head down them. I swivel my head to see Lucca coming right behind me, and I pick up my pace knowing his long legs will catch up to me and be waiting until I reach the pavement. I jump down the last couple steps, my feet hitting the ground with a loud thud. I continue to walk to the nice black SUV that is waiting for us. Lucca's arm snakes around my waist and he leans down to peck my cheek.

"If they get to know you like I do, they'll love you." I smile up at him, and I can feel myself beaming with happiness. He opens the black shiny door for me, taking my bag and motioning for me to go inside. He tosses our bags into the back before he hops into the back seat with me. He grabs my hand and squeezes it, assurance that I really need. I stare at the beautiful snowy scenery around me and sigh in awe.

The pine trees are lightly lined with snow and I remember the times my mother would take Carter and I to my aunt who lives in Colorado, and we would go snowboarding, snowmobiling, and ice skating all the time. I had actually gotten very well in the snowboarding and ice skating areas, and the snowmobiling was just a fun activity I tried. The memories bring a smile to my face and I rest my head on the window, thinking of when I actually enjoyed my life as a child. A warm hand touches mine and my eyes snap to Lucca's warm chocolate ones.

"What's on your mind?"

"The snow has me thinking of when my mother would take Carter and I to my aunts home. She lived in Colorado, so when it snowed, it was amazing. It was so gorgeous and there were so many things to do. It was one time I enjoyed being a child."

He gives me a small smile to which I return. The nerves of meeting his parents settles back in my stomach and I shield my emotions from Lucca. Turning away from him, I look back out the window, a large home coming into view. Extravagant wouldn't even start to cover it. It was a eggshell color with red accents along it, including a large red door. A huge red barn was settled back into the woods, horses loitering the pasture beside it. My mouth drops at the beautiful home before me. I thought Lucca's home was nice. Lucca smiles at my wondrous eyes that take in the place.

"I-um, wow." He lets out a hearty chuckle as the SUV comes to a stop in front of the large home. Two people walk out, hand in hand, to the SUV. They look wise, but also ageless. Lucca smiles at them and opens the door and envelopes the small woman in his arms. She lets out a laugh and the man just shakes his head before pulling Lucca into another hug.

I unbuckle my seat belt, and slowly open the door. Shimming out of the vehicle, I try to stay as silent as possible. My attempts fail, as the critiquing eyes of woman meet my appearance. The black leggings I were wearing were the first to be glared at, and then the yellow windbreaker was next, and the sports tee shirt just finished the deal. She snaps her head away from me, his scrutinizing expression softens when she sees Lucca and his father talking. Lucca stops speaking when he sees me, alone, by the front of the car. He walks over to me with a large smile and wraps his arm around my waist. He leads me over to his parents, his father's eyes are sparkling with amusement, while his mothers glare reaches my nervous eyes.

"Dad, this is Thea, Thea, this is my father Joseph." I grab his outstretched hand and give it a firm shake. His eyes fill with shock, and respect for me.

"A strong handshake, I think I like you already," Joseph says and I can't help but have some pride fill me. Maybe this won't be so bad. Lucca turns to his mother and her glare softens, but not enough for me to miss it.

"Thea, this is my mother Rachel." I stretch out my hand but she doesn't touch it, only glares at it as if it was something disgusting.

"Mother."

"Rachel." Lucca and Jospeh's hard tones break the silence and she glares back at her son and husband. What does she have against me?

"Do not talk to me like that. I'm just upset. What was wrong with Isabella?" Lucca's hard glare meets his mother eyes and she just huffs in annoyance before gracefully walking, or in better terms, stomping, away.