Chapter Thirteen

My heart feels as if it is in overdrive as Lucca keeps looking up at me throughout the meal, his eyes sparkling with mischief. I keep eating my king crab Mac and cheese, which tastes like absolute heaven. The crab it cooked to perfection, lightly doused in butter. The Mac and cheese has four different cheeses, make it even more heavenly. I try my hardest not to moan as my tastebuds come in contact with the wonderful food. Sadly, I fail, and a small moan escapes, and I look down, not wanting to see Lucca's facial expression as I do so.

The sounding of the door shutting and voices at the front, makes me look up, and I instantly regret it. I see him. One of the men I never wish to see in my life. I take a large gulp, and look at Lucca who is looking at me intently. I push my chair out, and stand up.

"If y-you excuse me, I need to go to the loo." He nods, his eyes betraying his face, as they show concern and uncertainty. I soon push my chair in with much force, and scurry to the bathroom, almost tripping on tables in my way. I make sure he doesn't see me as I push open the door and let out a frustrated sigh. Anger flurries in me, making me want to punch something. So, the most logical thing I have done all night is throw my fist at a shut stall door.

A small dent forms and a little anger vanishes from my being. My hand has no blood, just light yellow bruises forming. I grab the roots of my perfectly straight hair and growl in frustration. I calm myself, after what feels like ages, and I wash my hands. The running water cools my hands, and as I look up to grab soap, a scared lady is behind me, her eyes wide in fear.

She hurries to the sink farthest from me and washes her hands as fast as possible. I look down and finish in silence. She has already scurried out as I grab the small cloth towel they had provided and wipe my hands. I set it back on the rack and calm myself one last time before exiting. I bump into a large solid chest as I walk through the door.

Large hands wrap around my waist as I look up to see Lucca's warm and beautiful chocolate eyes. He leads me back to our table in silence, which I thank him for. As we sit, his eyes turn hard with determination. He doesn't look away, or falter with his gaze.

"Why are you so anxious? Are you okay?" I look away from him, because I know if I look into his warm brown eyes I'll cave.

"I'm fine, thank you for asking," my words are short and void of emotion. I look at him and his eyes are hard.

"I'm calling crap." I let out a laugh, of course he'd try to be serious and I'd be an idiot and laugh. He doesn't even smile or move, his face looking like a sculpted god.

"I saw someone I hoped to never see again. Someone who changed my life for the worse." He doesn't move, except his hand that grabs mine, and gives it a soft kiss. Tingles erupt on the spot he kisses, warmth spreads to the rest of my hand and the feeling is foreign, but very enjoyable. His lips linger a little while longer before he pulls away, dropping my hand on the process and signaling the waiter over.

"S'il vous plaît obtenir Le chèque pour nous monsier." The waiter nods, and scurries away as if his feet are on fire. I give him a warm smile, as a silent thank you for letting us leave as soon as possible. The waiter came back with the check quicker than I expected, and Lucca drops some cash on the table, telling him to keep the change. He abruptly stands up, and grabs my hand before leading me towards the door, his hand on the small of my back, and my straightened hair tickling his hand. A loud shout makes me almost stop.

"Cherry blossom?" I cringe at the nickname, and I try to pick up my pace which is hard in these heels. Lucca realizes this is why I want to leave, his grip on my back tightens and I feel comforted by the gesture, but the sparks erupting on my bare back makes me slightly nervous, but in a good way.

"Thea, wait!" My feet automatically stop, even though my body is screaming to keep moving. I feel his dark presence looming behind me and my anger returns.

"Baby girl, it's me, it's been to long."

"I'm sorry sir, I don't know you." I say not turning around, knowing perfectly well who he is, just by his voice.

"It's me honey, your dad, your father." I could hear he pride in his voice which makes me want to slam my fist in his face.

"I'm sorry sir, but my father is dead." He gasps, probably surprised I could say something like that. My younger self never would have done anything of the sort.

"But honey," he says, his rough hands grabbing my arm. I let out a low guttural noise, telling him to let go.

"Let me go sir, I need to leave." He tries to tighten his grip on me, but I wasn't having it. I spin on my heel, my fist flying towards his face. As I make contact, a loud crack is heard, as he stumbles back.

"I said I needed to leave, and yet you still try to get me to stay. I do not know you sir, and from what I've seen, I sure don't want to either." I grab Lucca's arm quickly, and gracefully stride out of there.

As the cool evenings air hits my face, I let out the breath I was holding in. Lucca's warm hands grab both of mine, tingles shootings up my arms at the contact. His warm eyes give me a comforting look and he lets go of one of my hands and leads me to the car. He opens the door for me, helps me sit down and reaches over me, grabbing the seat belt, and slowly bringing it across my body. The heat from his body so close to mine is making me anxious, my breathing starting to increase.

He steps away, and heads towards his side of the car. He doesn't start the car as he sits in, he just looks at me. His eyes silently speaking, as he looks into my soul, it an open window from my vulnerability.

"I'm not going to pry, but I will always listen to you, mon chéri." My heart swells at the endearment that he has given me, and before I can process what I'm doing, I lean across my seat and kiss him on the cheek. My lips linger a little longer before brushing his cheek on the way to his ear.

"Merci."

——

"S'il vous plaît obtenir Le chèque pour nous monsier" means "Please get the check for us sir"