Chapter 6: Before the wedding

Chapter 6:  Before the wedding

As I stared down the floor I could see his boots approach. My breath hitched as I saw him get closer. He could do anything, and I could do nothing to stop him.

He stopped in front of me “I just wanted to make sure you were okay” he said formally and I could hear on his voice that it was all it was, formalities, he just wanted my misery.

I made a face and kept my gaze on his shiny black boots that was tied to perfection into a tight bow. Perfection – that he liked. He liked to follow routines and make sure that everyone followed the way he wanted it done to make him stand more perfect as the leader.

“How are you?” he asked with… no it couldn’t be - concern. I rolled my eyes and looked up at him hissing “fantastic, I enjoy the fact that I am forced to get married at the age of 18, out of all people I got you, it doesn’t get much better” I growled with sarcasm giving him a glare at the end and looked down again at his shoes again.

How can his shoes always shine like this, he travels all the time and works so hard, but still he is always perfect, never showing a single mistake, how is that possible?

I was just waiting for him to grab me and yell at me and tell me that I should be happy and if not he would kill me. I expected threats to pass the devils lips, but nothing came. I looked up at him searching his face for emotions. He looked depressed, something bothered him, his gaze was glued to the floor and his lips lost the smirking smile he always wore.

Maybe I was a bit rough… but me apologizing for complaining about a forced marriage he is forcing me into I will not apologize for, not now, not tomorrow, not ever.

Marcos sat down beside me on the bed, I instantly moved away from him making more space between us. He looked up at me and showed nothing but sadness “I am sorry that I have been acting like this against you”.

His words made my breath hitch, he was sorry and the most confusing part of it was that he actually meant it, he meant it honestly, his voice told it all.

Our eyes met and he looked somehow humanoid, he looked just like a regular person, he did not have the aura of darkness as he sat there, he was just a man sitting on my bed.

“I can’t marry you, I don’t want to” my voice faded at the end, my breathing nearly drowned the sound of my last words.

He stood up abruptly and I shrieked back in fear at his bold move. The cold look was back on his face as he stared down at me as the creature I know him best for, the devil.

“You better get used to the idea of marriage and accept our faith before the ceremony” with that he walked out the door and closed it forcefully making the entire room shake.

Mrs. Ezra, Ezra’s wife came into the room just after Marcos had left, she did not need an ivitation as she just burst into the room and sat down beside me. Without saying anything she moved to sit behind me and brushed my hair.

At least I wasn’t as unlucky as her, Ezra married her when she was only 14 and he was 20, he is the devils cousin and got her pregnant on the night they married. At 15 she gave birth to twins, they both died and rumors have it that he blames her and sleeps with other girls all the time.

“Darling I am so happy for you, finally you be a bride, it’s the day all girls wait for their entire life” She gushed and ran her fingers through my hair as she started braiding a piece of it “you are going to be a beautiful bride, Marcos will have a hard time keeping his hands off you”.

His hands is not going anywhere near me. My hands rubbed against each other “I can’t marry him” I told her boldly trying hard not to cry. Pictures of the devils hand roaming my body was running through my head. It made me sick. Mrs. Ezra took a hairband and made a bun with my hair.

“Nonsense, you’ll love it, you are perfect for each other”, the first time I ever speak to her alone she tells me that we are alike, she knows nothing about me and for her to say that she must know absolutely nothing about him.

“We are nothing alike” I told her annoyed, I sounded more bitchy than I intended to, “he is so boring and strict and way to serious” I started as I felt my blood boil just thinking about the things he was.

She turned me around to look at her and shook her head “you are wrong darling” she took a small mirror in her hand and held it up for me to see the setup she made with my hair. Beautiful! a bun with a braid running around giving it a romantic look.

“Look at this beautiful girl” Mrs. Ezra said as I looked at my reflection. “Her beauty of heart goes right through her and reflects her beauty on the outside” I stared into the mirror as she kept talking.

“Marcos worries about you and who can blame him, You aren’t said to be the most obedient girl around” I smiled at that, I succeed. “Trust me, you are made for each other, destiny wants you together” she took the mirror out of my hand and made me look at her “you are going to be the happiest girl on earth”.

No one can make me happy in marriage, I am meant to be free, not locked up as someone’s personal slave.

“The elders and Ezra and your fiancé for that matter knows what’s best for you, give it a chance, maybe you will change your mind when you get to know him, you could end up loving each other” she smiled at me like she just said the best thing ever. She didn’t.

“He is going to be a wonderful husband” she said with a surprisingly sad voice, her entire attitude went from all loving to sad. She stared out the window and it was almost like she remembered something bad.

She looked back at me “when you are married you must follow all his orders, no disobedience, no trips alone outside and no time alone with other men and most importantly you must fulfill your marriage with dignity” she stood up and smiled weakly at me “everything is going to be just fine”  she said and left.