Chapter 4: Just obey

I walked directly out the big double doors that sealed the mansion from the rest of the prison. It was an odd place. I lived in the mansion along with 500 others, including our savior as he calls himself and his guards and the rest was fighters and students and some worked as servants.

Marcos is the top, under him is the guards, then the fighters, then the servants and then the workers and at last the students. The students goes to school every day and learns about how great it is to serve our leader and threatens us about the outside world.

We are the lowest in our community and the only reason we are in school is because Marcos is trying to brainwash us to become servants and fighters, but I am not that naïve.

 Outside the castle it’s like a village surrounded by a massive brick wall who securely keeps us imprisoned as they are like four times we height and guarded by armed guards that’s just awaiting for their innocent victim.

I have never seen an outsider get killed for trying to get in. I have never witnessed someone trying to get in from the outside. But I have seen people get killed for trying to get out, I am not the first one to see how messed up this place is.

I passed women chatting and bragging about how their kids served the king and how respected they were and men who fought with swords to impress their leader. All of this was so messed up.

As I neared the place school was being held, the church, I saw them standing outside on a straight line with their legs together and hands on their backs and heads down in a submissive way.

One of the elders was telling them the fairytale about how Marcos brave family saved us all. I watched in aww, that’s a cute story… a story! No one knows if it’s even real, nothing else is here, and then why should this be?

As he ended the story he looked up and noticed me. He looked coldly at me with pure hatred, “I was with Marcos” I told him smirking and made my way to stand beside the others in a similar position. I tried hard not to smile but failed.

Heavy sounding steps approached us. I looked up and saw guards walking towards us two beside each other moving sync with the line behind them. They stopped in front of us and moved to stand on a line directly in front of ours.

They saluted with their hands in sync, it actually looked comical. The elder nodded approving “choose a student for yourself sirs” he ordered and gestured to the line I was standing in.

‘Why should they choose one of us?’ horror filled scenarios filled my vision as I looked at them in confusion. The one who stood in front of me gave me a warning look.  His eyes caught mine and I looked down immediately, I wasn’t supposed to look anywhere above the ground before I was allowed to by the authorities.

I knew all of the men in front of me, I had one encounter with each of them. Nr. 3, 7 and 9 all raped girls who afterwards disappeared.

Nr. 1, 4, 8, 10, 11 and 12 befriended most of the girls on my floor and have all tried to take their friendship further, after my knowledge they all succeed.

Nr. 2 and 5 are hawks, they tell Marcos everything. Nr. 6 is a loner, he wants to be the best fighter and does nothing wrong, he is really serious.

And lastly the one in front of me, Talon, Maya’s good friend who is acting like a parent to the two of us, not nicely, he is like a hawk with supervision, nothing goes unnoticed by him.

Talon walked to my side as the other stepped forward too towards the person in front of them. Of course I had Talon, it sucked, but honestly I wouldn’t be happier if it was any other of the, maybe I was even lucky.

“These men are here to make you understand the importance of obeying the given rules, the outside world is dangerous, as you are here, you don’t see it, you are all used to this safe world that you don’t see what’s going on outside of them… it is very dangerous out there but I will leave that to these men” the elder explained mainly us.

The guards took their victim and went separate ways.

As we were alone Talon looked down, he was mad, but why I did not understand.

“What did you do outside the walls” he asked still keeping his head low to look me in the eyes. ‘How did he know?’ Marcos told them… that’s why we are having this talk with them. “I saw some people” I answered regretting my honesty immediately. He gave me a forced smile “You saw some people?” he repeated with disgust.

He slammed his hands against the table “You just couldn’t listen just once, why do you always do everything you are told not to do, can’t you just listen one single time?” he roared at me “if you try to piss me off on purpose I hope you get some sense into your head” he growled at me. 

I tried to look away but his capturing gaze held me captive. He grabbed my arm and pulled me towards a bench and sat down making me sit beside him “please enlighten me on what happened with them” he tried to sound calm but failed, his anger was not to be covered.

When I didn’t answer he laughed sarcastically “did you get to talk with them and you became buddies and enjoyed the night in front of a campfire while singing a song?” he asked annoyed with a sarcastic voice. The people outside was not to be trusted. They were all bloodthirsty killers, according to the book.

I gave him my best glare “why do you hate them so much, they are nothing like the book says” I raised my voice at him, big mistake. He raised his brows and looked at me in surprise “really, is that so, and how do you happen to know that?” he asked leaning closer to me.

I looked down, I already said to much. “You spoke with them?” he asked me calmly “that’s just great, let us just invite them inside so we all can get slaughtered by them, what a great idea” he yelled sarcastically at me making me flinch at how powerful his voice was.

“They aren’t as you think!” I tried to convince him, but failed “they are barbaric” he yelled back, “no they are not! if someone is barbaric it is this place” I yelled at him.