Chapter 2: Cold glare

Chapter 2: Cold glare

The sound of a squeaking drawer awoke me from my deep dreamless sleep. I sat up in a rush looking at Maya who held up her knee long socks that went with the outfit we are forced to wear every day. By the cold look on her face she has acknowledged me but she obviously avoided looking at me.   

She sat down on the bed and pulled her socks on still ignoring me “you weren’t here last night” she said coldly. I bit my lip guilty. She hates it when I break the rules. She was the one who always read the rules from the book out loud when I did anything new such as go out the room with dirty shoes.

This place was all about the look, everyone should look perfect and be dressed perfectly.

“I-“ I started about to explain to her how I am not supposed to be locked in here, I want to be free, I need it. She cut me off by glaring at me annoyed “I get it” she sneered at me “you just had to show yourself like always” she stood up abruptly and walked out the door.

I pulled the covers off annoyed by her – everything – she is just so good. I got dressed after the book, white short sleeved button up shirt making sure to remember all the buttons, black vest over it, skirt that went halfway to the knee and white socks that went right under the knee and black shoes.

I put my hair back in a ponytail and went for the door.

The bell sounded and a lot of footsteps were heard in the hallways and from upstairs, all heading to the dining room. I opened the door and tried to blend into the crowd, but everywhere I looked I got a knowing glare. I was the one everybody was tired of, I was the little girl who always caused trouble and everybody was tired of it.

The dining room had 50 tables with 10 seats for us, the slaves and a seat for a guard at the end of each table. All tables were filled as I arrived, except from the table Marcos was seated, the seat was the one longest away from him to my luck. I seated and folded my hands on my lap and looked down at the table.

The older, a group of the better knowing, stood up and said a pray about how Marcos family had saved all of us from the monsters outside, and that we could sit here and enjoy our meal because of his family’s bravery… I yawned tired of the same speech, every single day to every meal that speech is told.

After their ovation, Marcos stood up and lifted his hands to make the crowd stop. He obviously love the attention, stupid arrogant jerk. “Thank you for the kind words, now eat” Marcos said loudly as he sat down. A tons of thank-you’s went his way and he smirked my way like he knew it annoyed me. I looked away instantly.

The others were fast to get a piece of bread and what else they needed. I was sat by the table with some from the upstairs corridor. They were older and did everything in their power to become the perfect slaves to these monsters. They made it a perfection to be slaves.

Rachel smirked at me as she looked up from her breakfast “I didn’t even hear you come in last night” she said loudly so everyone would hear her. She always tried to make me feel smaller than I am, they all did. No one wanted a disobedient member of this slave factory. My actions affects the others, if I am caught, they get punished for not guiding me.

Rachel sat by Marcos side of course. She always tried to make herself seem better than the rest of us. She always did what was expected, she is such a loner. I am not sure if she has a crush on Marcos, if so she can have him all she wants, no people in their right minds would ever consider dating a lying prison guard as him.

Marcos gave her a warning glare telling her to shut up, I liked that. Rachel chose to ignore and faced him “she doesn’t even deserve to sit at the table, she should be in the dungeon where she belong” she looked at me as she said the last bit shooting hating glares my way.

Marcos hit his fist into the wooden table making all of us jump in surprise. Everyone went silent and took a sneak peak his way. “Shut up” he roared at Rachel and glared at me with the same hatred she just did.

Rachel looked down at her plate “sorry sir” she muttered and started eating again. No one dared to say a word. The only thing that was heard was the sound of people eating.

The entire atmosphere was drained from energy and joy and it was my fault. No one said it out loud but everyone thought it. It was my fault that he was in a bad mood. “You are dismissed” Marcos yelled over the crowd to be heard.

In a swift moment everyone stood up and walked out to complete their duties. I turned to leave as well as my table stood up. “Cara, go to my office” Marcos said without even looking at me, he only concentrated on his empty plate.

***

Please tell me what you think :)