Chapter 21 - Darkness

**WARNING, DARK CHAPTER AND POSSIBLE TRIGGER WARNING. MATURE AUDIENCE RECOMMENDED**

Soon the night was melting away in a blur of drunken thoughts. After my second beer my stomach started to feel warm, like there was a lump of coal burning in my intestines. Soon after my thoughts started to feel a bit fuzzy, which is the only word I can think of to describe the weird feeling. Deep down I knew I was no longer sober, and yet for some reason I couldn't help but keep insisting I was fine.

"I'm good," I said for what felt like the millionth time, cracking open my eighth beer. Or was it ten? I had lost count. "Let me have some fun." I shook Ben's hand off my shoulder, taking a long swig from the bottle. The more drunk I got, the less beer tasted like hot piss. Once I started, I couldn't stop. Ry was cheering me on, already more drunk than I was. What had gotten into me? I didn't care.

The more I drank, the less I felt the cold biting at my cheeks. Soon I stood up and was dancing with Ry to the music she started playing off her phone. Milkshake by Kelis. Why? I don't know, but we were in hysterics trying balance dancing 'sexy' and sip on our beer at the same time.

"Ben, come dance with me!" I exclaimed, holding my free hand out to him. More than anything I wanted to kiss him again; watching him watch me with his cold, always angry expression made my heart clinch. The bruiting lines in his face just made him that much more attractive.

"You're drunk," he growled, crossing his arms. He still hadn't moved from the spot by the log, blanket covering his legs. My mouth fell open, and suddenly I dropped the beer from my hand and ran to him. Vaguely I heard the glass shatter behind me, but I ignored it and straddled Ben's lap.

"I'm fine, see," I exclaimed, touching my finger to my nose. My eyes crossed as I switched my hands a few times, each time hitting myself exactly on the tip of my nose. At least I think I did. He rolled his eyes but snaked his hands to my hips, holding me in place. "Come on, why aren't you drinking with me?"

"Someone has to watch out for you," he rolled his eyes, a smile tugging at his lips. Dramatically, I threw my head backwards and placed the back of my hand on my forehead, letting out a sigh.

"My hero!" I exclaimed, and crashed my lips to his. At first he kissed me back, digging his fingers into my sides. His hands had slipped under my shirt and seemed to be burning my skin. I slipped my fingers into his hair and pulled slightly, shifting myself impossibly closer to close all the space between us.

"Get a room!" I heard Jeremy yell, but I ignored him slid my tongue into Ben's mouth. He tasted like mint, and very faintly like beer, although that was probably coming from me. All of a sudden Ben broke us apart and pushed me off of his lap, making me land on my ass in the dirt.

"You're drunk," he said again, this time standing up. Towering over me he crossed his arms and huffed. I was giggling, but I didn't know why. In my head I was wondering if I could remember a time I had ever seen Ben looking so angry.

"Shi, come dance with us!" Rylin exclaimed, setting down her latest empty bottle. She was dancing with Jeremy now. Both of them just looked like drunk idiots. It felt like I was running in slow motion as I scrambled to my feet and rushed over to them, almost tripping on my shoes. The rush of motion made me feel dizzy, which only made me laugh harder.

The night went on, full of laughter and more alcohol. The later it got, the darker the sky seemed to get, but it didn't matter because the fire Ben had started was still burning strong. The heat radiating off of it was enough to keep us warm, or maybe it was the alcohol burning through my veins. Either way, the longer I danced with Jere and Ry, the more I started to sweat. Soon, it was unbearable.