Chapter 12 - Aftermath

One week's suspension.  That's what I got for "picking a fight with a fellow classmate."  Those would not be the words I chose to describe what had happened with Monica; I was attacked.  But of course I was the new girl, and all Monica had to do was bat her eyelashes and say I started it for the principle to roll over and only punish me.  That's right, Monica was sent to class while I was held in that same office with barely any light and beat up blinds to wait for Mrs. Miller.

I was dreading the moment she walked through that door.  That poor women had enough on her plate without taking in a bunch of strangers, and on top of that I was making it more difficult.  I didn't regret fighting with Monica, though.  If I could have go back and do it over, I wouldn't have changed anything.  She was nothing but a bully, and I didn't feel bad for beating her ass.  If that meant I had to stay home from school for a week, so be it.

About an hour went by before Savanna arrived.  I could tell by the clock on the wall; it made a grinding sound every time the minute hand moved, like it would stop working any second.  Just as I was counting the sixty sixth minute to go by, the door burst open so quickly it almost hit the wall.  I jumped slightly, but wasn't surprised when Mrs. Miller was the person to walk through that door.  Her hair was curled, and she was wearing a purple dress-shirt, paired with a white blazer and black slacks.  She must have come straight from work.  The only time I saw her dress formally was when she was ready to spend the day in the office.

Her eyes landed on my for only a second before she turned to the woman at the desk, placing a hand on her hip. "I'm Savanna Miller, I'm here to pick up Shiloh."

"Yes ma'am," the lady nodded, grabbing a piece of paper for her to sign.  It was like they were getting ready to release me from prison. "She's been suspended for-"

"You spoke to me on the phone, I am well aware of why I was called up here in the middle of my work day." She snapped, grabbing a pen off the counter quickly.  I gulped and closed my eyes, breathing through my nose.  Here we go.  I can only imagine the lecture I was going to receive when we got in the car.  I kept my eyes closed, but I could hear the pen scratch against the paper as she signed her name. "Now, is she good to go?"

"Of course."  In one swift motion I stood from my seat, letting my hands fall loosely to my side.  Savanna grabbed my shoulder and squeezed lightly, guiding me out the door.  As soon as I heard it click behind us, I felt the need to speak.

"I'm really sorry," I said quietly, looking at the ground. "If you just knew the whole story-"

"Shiloh, please," Savanna sighed, and I felt my stomach clinch, "We're about to go get some ice cream and I fully intend on you telling me the whole story."  My head snapped up as I stared at her with wide eyes, slack jawed.  

"You want to take me for ice cream even though I just got suspended from school?"

"I'm sure you had a perfectly good reason, dear," She laughed.  The shrill scream of the bell sounded, and Savanna's smile slowly faded. "Oh god," she sighed, "let's get out of here quick before the mob is released.  I've been out of high school twenty years and I certainly don't miss having to elbow my way to class."

We ducked out of the closest door, barely escaping before we were surrounded by students.  It was probably two in the afternoon; the air was still warm from midday, but there was a pleasant breeze to cool you off.  We walked along the sidewalk in silence for a minute before I pulled my phone out of my pocket.  There were about fifteen texts from a number I didn't recognize, making me wrinkle my nose.  Every one of them was about what happened.  Why did I fight?  Did I get suspended?  Was I okay?  Who is this? I responded before clicking my phone off.