Chapter 14 - My New World

Chapter 14 - My New Wold

*UNEDITED**  I apologize in advance for the sucky chapter.  I have not had time to read this, but it might be a little incoherent because I've written it in little pieces over the last 3 months.  The writers block has been so strong, you have no idea.  I apologize, but hopefully you can enjoy this short filler chapter! I'm excited to write the next one, and I know exactly what I want to happen, so hopefully I can get it written in a timely manner.  As always, thank you SO much for reading and I love you lots!

The day I had been dreading had finally arrived; the Disney Gala.  Savanna said it was some fundraising event, but she seemed like she was genuinely excited to attend.  I could barely muster the thought of spending the evening dressed in a gown that fit me a little to tight, smiling at everyone because I was attending with the lady who would apparently inherit Disney Land and Disney World someday.  

My sisters, of course, we're bouncing off the walls with excitement.  They all loved the idea of going to a fancy party with rich 'people.'  Of course I was the odd one out.

The morning of the Gala, Savanna burst into my room with excitement, coffee already in hand.  I blinked at her as she threw open the blinds, hissing slightly as the light burned my eyes.  The clock by my bed said it was seven AM, so I groaned and pulled my blanket over my face.

"Come on Shiloh," Savanna chirped, yanking the blanket away from me. "This is my first year getting to pick out dresses for girls, and we've put it off for far to long.  Time to get shopping!" I groaned slightly, however I couldn't help but feel a slight amount of happiness because of her words.  She was treating us like we were her own daughters, and it warmed my heart. "Don't bother getting ready, Bethany is coming over later for hair and makeup."

Bethany was the makeup artist Savanna had hired for the event.  Apparently Bethany came around every time Mrs. Miller had an event to get ready for, I had just never met her.

With a huff I threw my legs over the side of my bed, rubbing my eyes.  I had to push back a yawn as I stretched, hoping this day would go by quickly.  I could already hear my sisters running down the hallway, yelling at each other to 'hurry up.'  London wast the most excited about this Gala; it gave her an excuse to be a princess for the night.

After brushing my teeth and running a brush through my hair, I stepped into my closet.  Over the past few days it had dropped a few degrees outside, but it was nothing compared to the harsh, biting air of Alaska.  The girls at school always looked at me wither wide eyes when I walked in wearing a t-shirt when they were wearing sweaters.

The door creaked behind me.  Out of the corner of my eye I saw Cora walk in, hands crossed over her chest. "Why aren't you ready yet?" She asked me, flopping down on my bed.  Her blond hair fell over her face, covering her disappointed frown.

"I'm just getting dressed," I told her, yanking a maroon sweater off of it's hanger.  Yanking it over my head, I huffed. "Are you excited for tonight?" 

"I don't know yet," my sister mused, "I'll either have fun or be left all alone.  London says there won't be many kids my age there."

"Oh, what does London know?" I told her, rolling my eyes.  That made her giggle. "You'll see, we'll have a blast.  Don't even worry about it." At least, that's what I was telling myself.  After pulling on some black leggings and slipping into some knee high boots, I held my hand out for my sister. "Come on, let's get going.  Something tells me  Savanna is already waiting."

"She's already by the back door," Cora giggled, shaking her head. "She says if we don't get a move on we'll never make it back on time for Bethany to do all of our hair."