(09) - In The Dark

| The All Knowing |

"Why won't you tell me what's wrong?" Elena frowned – she was hardly going to cause any harm, she was just a fragile girl in comparison to the ominous Jake.

"It's nothing that concerns you butterfly," he cooed before taking a seat besides her, his intoxicating cologne filtering into her since he sat in close proximity. Jake's mind submerged into the thoughts of last night, after he had dropped everyone home he had continued with his business. The brawl playing through his psyche perfectly just like the rest, in addition each one bought him a sense of irresistible satisfaction.

Jake had been venturing on his daily routine as if he were as normal as the next person but inevitably part of the Mafia world was sure to swathe him... This time it was forgotten money but subsequently it could have been something ghastly, like the death of a fellow friend. Jake had entered the abandoned warehouse and a looming presence overtook him, large shadows drowning his existence... He had appeared to be alone but the truth was, waiting outside were a select amount of individuals who he wholeheartedly trusted.

Quietly, Jake entered the dimly lit area. Unpredictably a man's muscular leg swept out in an ample, graceful art connecting with Jake's ankles throwing him off balance, a skill he had learnt over the years. Jake staggeringly found himself laying flat on his back that evening, deep breaths protruding from his lips whilst sucking in large amounts of air that seemed devoid of oxygen. He winced as tiny pebbles from the run down warehouse clawed into his back. His vision was on his side, as he cleared with just enough time to roll away from a brutal kick to the ribs.

"I think it does concern me," his memories came to a halt and his tongue graciously ran over his lips in displeasure. He won the fight but that moment of weakness would be sure to disturb his reminiscence, he couldn't afford to lose his focus like that once more and he would do everything it takes to guarantee safety.

"Why is that?" Jake taunted, his lips curling into a mocking grin whilst eyeing Elena; she took small bites out of the selection of food before her, the fork softly clanking against the clay plate given that she stabbed the pieces of succulent strawberry.

"If every time I'm going to meet you and you look like that, then surely I should know what's going on?" Elena sighed before chewing on the tasty delicacies, she had been ravenous for quite some time and the food was bringing first slice of contentment that day.

"I can assure you, you won't see me like this very often." He declared, his eyes taking the time to devour her. Elena's cheeks were slightly pink that morning and it was probably due to her minor sadness and her hair was flowing unreservedly unlike yesterday. Jake liked her hair down, it made her seem free and at ease and those were things Jake didn't feel very often.

"How could you certify that?" Elena raised an eyebrow curiously, her emerald orbs finally fixating on him. "Does it hurt?" She whispered softly, he reminded her of her brother in that moment, she remembered all the bruises that would adorn his face when he returned late at night. She never liked it, nonetheless she never questioned him.

"No, I've been through worse." Jake shrugged but quickly regretted it, Elena's stomach clenched in discomfort at the thought of pain – it reminded her of too much, it brought her back to the darkness of her childhood.

"Can I look at something?" She gulped, his stare piercing through her as he tried to understand why she would want to do such a thing.

"Sure," Jake half asked and half agreed, his honeycomb orbs watching her intensely. He immediately tensed watching her nimble fingers reach for the bottom of his polo shirt. "No!" He quickly stopped her and pushed away her hands.