All Time Low-Don't Take The Only Thing I Live For Away From Me Chapter 10

• Dedicated to Livvy McPartlan

Don't Take The Only Thing I Live For Away From Me

All Time Low-Chapter 10

My fingers traced the area that Jacks lips had touched on my cheek. They felt so soft and delicate but his stubble made him look older than twenty. In the photos of him that I'd seen on the Internet he looked younger than a lot of the musicians he hung around with but that was something I would never ask him about. I remembered every last detail of that moment, how his hand rested on the small of my back, how he tried to make it appear that we were just embracing each other, caught up in a warm bear hug. His bright beaming smile, the way he glanced over at Alex then let his head fall in joyful, private embarrassment. It was our little secret.

"You should get some sleep, Vailes. Do you feel tired?" Alex broke the peaceful silence. He pulled his hair back with his fingertips, away from his eyes as he looked over my damaged face. Surveying the scars and bruises that dotted my cheeks and forehead. I hadn't yet seen my face but the feeling of pain every time I moved my head told me that it wasn't a pretty sight.

"Yeah I think I will. Are you guys going home then? What time is it?" my eyes scanned the light blue walls of the room but there wasn't a clock in sight. Alex's head tilted to the side as he stared at me. He didn't look like he was watching me but staring through me; he was searching for something in my eyes that he couldn't find. Could he tell I was lying? I wasn't going to sleep tonight, my mind would fill with all these questions that I would write down then I'd answer them in my head with something that would better me. My lips would whisper the replies to my queries; I know that talking to yourself is the first signs of madness but so what if it helps. Knowing that no one will listen, sometimes it's just easier not to say anything, or only trust yourself.

"Um, it's 2am," Jack spoke up, his eyes burned into the back of Alex's head, who had stepped closer to my bed. His eyes stayed on Alex as he forcefully shoved his hands into his jean pockets and his smile twisted into a scornful frown. With every move Alex made Jack inched closer towards me, never making eye contact with me but his features oozed hatred and loathing. Jack wasn't happy.

"Well then why are you still here?" my voice rose in shock. Why did they stay with me now when they didn't at the scene of the crash? My thoughts ran back to the accident, the flames licking at the humid car, the smoke filling my lungs and the metallic taste of blood in my mouth. I wasn't going to forget that night in a hurry.

"We're waiting for the traffic to go down! Really Vailes," Alex's humorous, sarcastic comment made a giggle escape my lips before I could restrain it. His eyes lit up with joy as Jack's burned with fury. His anger towards his best friend worried me. "Why do you think we're here? To make sure you're all right. We aren't just going to leave you here before apologising, really Vailes you mean more to us than you might think."

"If you came to check up on me then why did you leave me in the car alone? I woke up in the burning car and you weren't there. I shouted for you but I couldn't hear you either," a sour note tinged my voice as I accused the boys. Their heads dropped and their eyes fell to the ground simultaneously, guilty looks spread across their faces. Alex peeked out from behind his thick fringe, which covered the rest of his face; his hazel eyes had turned a glossy shade as he blinked away tears threatening to spill down his cheeks. Jack had let the anger he felt towards Alex melt away, only to be replaced by a shameful look in his beautiful eyes as regret spread through his features.

"Um, I was, well. They wouldn't let me see you! Jack and I both crawled out the car and the fire brigade managed to get Lisa but-"

"So you just left me, you got out and left me to die in that burning car!" my temper had risen and I could feel my cheeks flush with heat. I'm an occasional hot-head, mostly at the worst times but there was no denying the venom in my voice this time. This surge of pure animosity I felt towards Alex and Jack was still building, I could feel an even more destructive outburst brewing inside of me. Redirecting my thoughts to calm myself down, I stayed quiet in case I said something even more accusing; that let Alex budge in to clear his name and Jack's.