The Breaking

We make our way upstairs, none of us in a hurry to face what is to come. Part of me relishes in the idea of telling her what an actor her 'husband' is. While the other part, the man that loves her and hates to see her hurting, wants to hide her from the truth. But the decision is not just in my hands anymore. The kids have seen it for themselves, and I'm not sure what they intend to reveal.

"Do you want me to tell her, or would you like to do the honor?" I ask them.

"We all will. We can't hide what happened from her. She already knows he was here. She needs to know what's wrong." Ben said quietly.

Nodding in agreement, I release a breath of tension, and knock on the door. The silence that greets me is deafening.

                   ******

One breath. Two. Another. Then another. No matter how many breathes I take, my mind is still consumed with thoughts of Luc. I keep trying to focus on Jim and why he hasn't come for me yet, but they just won't stick. In my frustration, I hear the distinct sound of a lock turning. Waiting for Luc's reasoning as to why he forced me away from Jim, I'm stunned when I hear the least expected.

"Hello darling, miss me?"

Jim. I would know that voice anywhere. I swing around, a smile lighting my face. That smile fades as quickly as it came. His face. Something about his face has me paralized, terrified to even breathe. His normal, loving smile is gone. Replaced by a look of disgust and hatred. I begin to shake as he takes a few steps, placing him directly in front of me.

"Jim?"

"Oh no, darling, no time for talk right now."

I relax a little. He's just upset and trying to save us.

"I'm so glad you came to take us home sweetheart. I've been so scared."

"I'll just bet you have. But I haven't come to take you home Amber. I've come to make you pay for leaving me for him."

Before I can respond to tell him how wrong he is, something catches the side of my head and everything goes dark.

                    ******

As Luc knocks on the bedroom door again, we are only met with silence.

His patience soon runs thin, as he crashes through the door in a state of panic. Nothing. It's what greets us from within the room. With the tilt of a head, we all inhale deeply, eyes growing wide. He took mom. There is no mistaking the smell of our dad. He's been here and now she's gone.

Luc let's loose a horrifyingly heartbreaking roar, and collapses to his knees.

After a few moments of complete shock, his eyes shift black and he races out the door.

Dawn and I stare in his wake. This will not end well for anyone involved.