Chapter 4

David’s POV-

Racing through the grass and barely dodging the trees I try to find shelter. I look back and can’t seem to see the thing I was running from. What was I running from? So I stop and when I did the answer to my question popped up. A mirror comes up in front of me and when I first look I see my reflection. Though when I look again I see something that hit me hard. My reflection shows a broken statue that has cuts on the wrist and red lines down my face.

I woke up from my nightmare and feel the sweat down my neck. Looking around I place my hand over my heart.

“Man David calm down, just breathe!” I grab my phone and turn it on. “Was just a bad dream, just relax.” But it felt so real! My phone turns on and it reads six in the morning. I toss it across my bed and pull up my sleeves. There are slight pink lines and I trace them. Each scar represents something that bad has happened in my life.

“Why do you do that?”

“FUCK! Stella can you try and not scare me to death!”

“Ha ha well I am a ghost and scarring is my thing now.” She smiles at me and looks at my scars. “So why do you do that?”

I sigh and pull my sleeves down. How to I explain it to her? Would she understand? Doubt it, I mean she probably was one of the popular girls who got everything she wanted.

“You wouldn’t understand Stella.”

“Really? Is that because you think I’m some uptight, spoiled princess?” She eyes me and looks like she is about to punch me.

“No no no, not at all. It’s just a really long story that not many people understand.”

“Well I’m not like many people. Come on I am here for you. You can tell me anything!”

She gives me these puppy eyes and I reach for her hand and mine goes right through hers. Sometimes I forget that she is a lost soul.

“Well it really happened when I was ten. My dad left us, but not in the simplest way. My mom was almost beaten to death before I finally jumped in to protect her. I pushed my dad down some stairs and the ambulance had to be called. It turns out that I paralyzed him! Ever since then I have never been okay. If I could take back it I will, but I can’t. I feel as if my mom still holds it against me. She says she doesn’t but sometimes I hear her cry at night. It hurts knowing that I ruined someone’s life.” I sigh and look down at my hands. “So there you go...”

She stands there for a bit as if lost of words. Maybe I shouldn’t have told her. What if she thinks I’m a monster now?

“Well you were just protecting her, David it is understandable and truthfully I would hate you if you just stood there and did nothing.”

“Thanks, I guess you’re right.” She is smiling at me again. Man she has one of the prettiest smiles that I have ever seen. I wonder if I would have ever had a chance with her. Wait, what? Oh come on David you can’t seriously be falling for a ghost. Well now I can officially call myself crazy.