Chapter 1

Hello. my name is Stacy Kruckenberg and I am 17 years old. I live in Colfax, California with my loving parents. Growing up as an only child has been nice, though don't get me wrong I always wished that I had a sibling that I could turn to. But that is where my amazing friends come in. 

It was July 5 and I was just waking up from the amazing fourth of July party I went to the previous night. I looked in the mirror and saw my messy blonde hair has came out of the bun and my blue eyes didn't look as bright, but more of a dull and zombie look. I laugh as I try to brush out the knots and wake myself up. Today I had to wake up early so I can help out my best friend. Her name is Catherine Woods and she is moving down to LA! I am going to miss her so much but she has no other choice. I offered her to come live with my family, but her parents wouldn't allow it. She only had a few more months and then she said that either I move down there with her and she will move back. I will miss her a lot. 

I looked through my closet to find the perfect outfit, and also scrolled through my phone in search of my weather app. Finally finding it I saw it was going to be 72 degrees and I knew exactly what to wear. I threw on my black tank top and leggings. Then put on my favorite white cardigan and black boots. Perfect, now all I have to do is fix up my hair, put my makeup on, brush my teeth and eat. Man, all this work to just help a friend move. 

Finally after two hours I was ready and just in the nic of time. Catherine texted me and told me to hurry up because she didn't want to miss me and also she wanted to get lunch before she leaves me forever. Man was she over dramatic. I grabbed my keys and rushed out the door. Of course both my parents were at work. Though before I left I kissed my loving dog Jesse goodbye. Man, she was the best dog I have ever owned and I loved her.

I locked the door behind me and climbed down the wooden stairs to my car. We lived in a two story, wooden house. Though the only way to get to the main part was the stairs, man was that the exercise. As I got to my black chevy truck I got an odd feeling but just ignored it. Quickly hopping in I started the engine and drove down our mini hill towards the main street. I could hear the chickens making their fuss and the birds being the usual alarm in the morning. The sun was just starting to shine bright and I had to put on my sun glasses. The view here in Colfax is breathtaking and makes me smile all the time. 

The only part I didn't like about where I lived was the whining road that takes me to town. It was scary and if you look over to the cliff, you can wouldn't be able to see the ground. That's how high we were. I put on my favorite CD and started rocking out to SAIL by Awolnation. As I was singing along I saw a big truck coming my way. As usual I made sure I wasn't directly in the middle of the road. Then in one second my life passed by me. The driver was texting and lost control a little. He swerved and before I knew it I was losing to gravity. I was hit by the driver and soon was too close to comfort to the cliff. My truck lost and I was screaming as I feel towards the ground. The truck hit some trees and then everything went black.

I always pictured that when I died there would be a bright light and I would go to heaven. But I guess everything that I heard was wrong. Because when I let out my last breathe everything was black, then I had the last memories of my life.

Me on my fifth birthday party when I was the princess. The first crush in elementary. When I experienced my first heart ache. Meeting my best friend. The camping trips my family went on. My first true love and the wonderfulness it brought. The heart ache that brought. Getting caught by the police and almost going to jail. When I got my dog Jesse. Graduating from high school. Meeting my current boyfriend who brings me joy everyday. Well was my boyfriend. Getting my licenses. It all passed by me like a movie... then it went black again and I knew I was dead.

I don't know what happened after I died, all I knew was that I was in my bedroom. My parents were there and they were going through my stuff. They were crying and I didn't know what to do. Why were they crying? I walked over to them and saw them sobbing. Mom was shaking and dad was holding her while his lip was quivering. He was always trying to be the tough guy. 

"Mom, why are you crying? Mom?" I tried touching her but my hand just went right through her. What was happening? Why can't I touch her?

"Dad? Mom? What is going on?!" Why can't they hear me? Oh right, I am dead. Wait, that meant I am a ghost. 

I backed up and started panicking. How can this be? Isn't when you die you either go to heaven or hell? Why am I stuck here? Wait where are my parents going?

Then I heard a honking outside, I walked to my window and saw a moving truck. Where my parents moving? How long have I been gone? I went to my clock and saw it was two months from when I died. How can that be? I don't understand. Some movers came in and that is when I acutrally noticed all the boxes. They were really moving.

I ran to the dining room and heard the barking of my dog. Quickly I turned and saw Jesse starring straight at me with her hair standing up and eyes angled at me.

"Jesse! Calm down baby girl it's just me." She growled and I kneeled down. "Sssssh, it's me, Stacy." Then Jesse looked at me and whimpered a little. I forgot that dogs can see the supernatural. She walked right up to me and I tried to pet her, but couldn't. I started crying and so did Jesse. I can't even pet my own dog. Then I heard their voices.

"Come on Jesse, time to go." My mom walked right through me and cooed Jesse to the door.

"Alright honey let's go." My dad looked around and sighed. "Going to be hard to leave this place, but I couldn't live here with the memories of Stacy. She basically grew up here." 

"Yeah, oh honey Jesse is whimpering. It's amazing how dogs can mourn also." 

" Very amazing, not lets go."

With that they both took one last go and with the shut of a door they were gone. Just like that. I ran to the window and saw them hope in the truck with Jesse and pull away forever. I stood there for I don't know how long, but before I knew it there was a woman with a family outside my house. 

There was a mother and a young boy. The mother looked as if she was in her mid thirties, early forties. She had short brown hair and was wearing a dress suite. The boy looked about my age. He had dark brown hair and was just a little shorter than his mom. He had skinny jeans on and a black hoodie. The teen had head phones in and was paying no attention to his mom and the other lady who had blonde hair and a dress on.

The lady had papers in her hands and a cheesy smile on her face. I went and sat on the counter, knowing what was going to happen. The house was up for sale and this family was checking it out. My assumptions were right. The family came inside the house and I heard the ooohs and aaahs from the mother. 

"Well isn't this a sweet little home David?" The mother eyed her son and rolled her eyes. 

"Now this house has two bedrooms and one bathroom, a living room, office room and of course a nice kitchen. The plumbing and water work perfect and the only thing that would need to be fixed is the balcony, but that isn't major." The sales lady still had her cheesy smile and looked around. "You can explore and if you have any questions I will be right here."

"Well thank you, come on David and take off those ridiculous head phones!" David looked at his mother and took them off. "Now isn't that better? I am going to go explore, you should do the same." With that the mother headed towards the front of the room while the boy went towards the back.

"Cool house, I guess." David explored the rooms and finally ended up at mine. I stood by the window and watched him.

"I like this room." With that he went out of the room and back to his mom.

"Now sweety do you like the house?" 

"Yeah it's cool."

"Goody, now lets go back to the car so you can sign the papers!" The sales lady led them outside where they signed a lot of papers and shook hands. 

I was now scared, this means another family is moving in. What is going to happen? What if I scare them away?