Second Task

When I woke up, I looked across to the empty bed next to mine, and thought about my best friend, laying motionless and helpless at the bottom of the Black Lake. I got up, and went to the Great Hall for breakfast, even though I didn't have much of an appetite. I sat down, and ate a piece of toast and drank some orange juice.

I met up with Neville to get my gillyweed before going to the Black Lake for the Second Task. I listened to the rules being explained and saw how worried Harry was. Clearly, he hadn't worked out the clue and had no idea what to do. When the judges said the word, I shoved the gillyweed in my mouth and jumped into the lake. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Harry stand there like a buffoon, not knowing what to do next. I almost felt sorry for him, almost.

I swam as fast as I could, using a Point me spell to find Fleur's location. I got there in a matter of minutes, after fighting off a couple of grindylows and a kelpie. Once I had freed Fleur and saw Viktor coming towards me, I cast a feather light charm on her, and carried her back through the lake. I reached the shore first with still another 30 minutes left until the gillyweed wore off. When I was sure Fleur was ok, I saw Harry just sitting there, not even wet. I remembered seeing his friend Ron down in the lake and immediately turned around and went back to the merpeople's town.

When I found the merpeople, they told me I could not take someone who wasn't my hostage, but I didn't care. He was the only one left as all the others had been rescued. But I told them in Mermish that I already had my friend and was just trying to speed up the process. Like the Horntail, the Merchieftainess was impressed that I could speak their language and allowed me to take him. I repeated the same process I had with Fleur and swam back through the lake. About halfway there however, I saw Cedric struggling with the Giant squid and cast a cutting curse to make sure he was ok. I then continued to swim back to shore, with Cedric just a few minutes behind me. I got back with 2 minutes left until the hour was up, and Cedric a minute out of the time limit.

I returned the redhead to Harry and went to go see Fleur and Viktor. When I entered the medical tent, they both stood up and went to hug me. "Why did you go back?" Fleur asked me. "Well, I rescued you with 30 minutes still left until I returned back to normal, and I saw that Harry hadn't even got in the lake, so I went to get his friend." Fleur just shook her head at me and Viktor kissed my forehead. We heard Dumbledore say that they had the results and went outside. "Mr Harry Potter didn't manage to workout the clue or even attempt to enter the lake to retrieve his hostage. We award him 0 points."

"Mr Cedric Diggory who used the Bubblehead Charm to great effect, though was second to return with his hostage one minute out of the time limit. Therefore, we award him 47 points."

"Mr Viktor Krum used an incomplete form of transfiguration, which was nevertheless effective, and was third to return with his hostage. We award him 40 points." I clapped and cheered for Viktor, and he squeezed my hand as I waited for my results. "Miss Jade Black used gillyweed to great effect, and was first to return with her hostage before going back to retrieve Mr Potter's hostage. The judges all agree that this shows excellent moral fibre and merits full marks." My eyes widened. "Therefore, we award her 50 points." I started jumping up and down with Fleur, squealing with excitement.

"The third and final task will take place at dusk on the twenty fourth of June. The champions will be notified of what is coming, precisely one month beforehand. Thank you all for your support of the champions." I quickly did some math and worked out that I was first, Viktor 2nd, Cedric 3rd and Harry last. Now I had at least 3 months to relax before the third task.