Chapter 6 - Alone

We sat down for dinner at five o'clock that night. As the others ate I sat there pushing the food around my plate, listening to the rain hammer against the windows.

"I have to go out tonight, if that's okay with you Cassie." Geoff said.

He didn't say where he was going and I didn't pry. Unlike Logan he wasn't a private person and I knew he would have told me where he was going if he had wanted me to know.

"That's fine; I'm going to bed now anyway." Not that I was tired but the excuse gave me a chance to hid out in my - no - the guest room, instead of being stuck alone with Logan.

He left as soon as he had finished eating, which was before me and Logan, so it seemed I was doomed to be stuck alone with him anyway. With Geoff gone there was no one to fill the awkward silence that fell between me and Logan whenever we were together. He was the first to break it.

"You haven't eaten your dinner" It wasn't a question and anything I said would only cause an argument and I didn't want that tonight so I kept quiet.

He sighed, a soft sound that I knew I wouldn't have heard had it not been for the silence in the room.

He got up and collected the plated from the table. As he turned away from me he said "I have to go out as well. I have to work. And you have to come with me; I'm not leaving you here alone."

"I'll only go to bed-"I protested.

"No, it's too dangerous. We don't know why Jack was taken. Someone might be after you." That thought scared me and I hoped it wasn't true. The fact that Logan also suspected it made it more real. I still didn't want to go with Logan, I knew it was going to be a long day tomorrow and I just wanted to get some sleep.

"Please."

There was a long pause as he considered how he could persuade me to come, knowing that it wouldn't work, not tonight. He nodded briskly and walked out.

As I made my way up to the guest room, I noticed the door to Logan's room was left slightly open. I stopped and stood outside his room, pondering whether I should go in or not. I knew I shouldn't but I wanted to see if he really had moved on, if the pictures of the two of us together that had covered the walls had been taken down or not. The desire to know was too much and before I could change my mind I pushed the door fully open and stepped inside.