Chapter 39 - Everything Happens For A Reason

We arrived at the town in the middle of the night. The side of my neck ached from the awkward position I had slept in and the bruise on my cheek throbbed. Logan pressed the stop button which buzzed loudly in the silent, sleepy atmosphere of the bus. It pulled over and we climbed off, stepping onto the snow-covered pavement where we were engulfed by the bitter cold, winter air. This was the most civilisation I had seen for a while - a flashing blue sign across the road told us 'Marco's Café' was open and a handful of couples walked the street hand in hand.

After watching the bus drive away, Logan turned to me and said, "You wait in that café while I phone Geoff and ask which hotel he's staying at. It shouldn't be too far so we can probably walk there."

I nodded and gratefully ran into the warmth of the café. It was mostly empty and at this time of night that wasn't surprising. Most sane people where tucked up in bed, exactly where I wanted to be. There was a fire burning on the far side of the room, I picked the table that was closest to the fire and sank into the overlarge red armchair.

"Can I get you anything?" I glanced up to see a skinny, dark haired man holding a notepad and pen, looking at me expectantly.

"Not yet, may I have a little longer to choose?"

"Of course."

I busied myself by pretending to look at the overpriced menu whilst waiting for Logan. We wouldn't be able to order anything anyway; we had no money on us and I doubted Logan would be able to sweet-talk to man into giving us coffee for free. A chill rolled over me as the door to the café opened and Logan walked in, I waved him over and he settled into the chair opposite me.

"Geoff said he'll be here in about ten minutes, their hotel isn't too far."

"Is Jack okay?"

"Yeah, fine. Worried about you. He's a good boy, Cass. You did well with him." It was dark in the café; his profile was lit by the light of the fire. There were faint lines engraved in his skin that hadn't been there before. He was tired, his pupils dilated until they nearly swallowed up the blue of his eye. Nearly. But not quite.

"Mum did well with him, you mean. He needs her. I can't be what she was to him, I can never replace her."

"He doesn't want you to be her replacement. He only wants his sister." He lent forward with his elbows on his knees and rested his head in his hands. He seemed to be lost in his thoughts so I left him to it, turning further toward the crackling fire to warm myself.

"Listen, Cassie. I've been thinking about what you said and I want to apologise for the way I've treated you. You're right, you deserve better."

"Logan, that's not true. I lo-."

"Here you two are. Okay, Cassie?" Geoff's greeting cut me off, but maybe that was for the best. I am a strong believer in fate. Everything happens for a reason.  Was it fate that made Geoff interrupt at that very moment? Because I was so close to saying it, I was so close to telling him I loved him. And maybe things would have turned out differently if I had done. But now I'll never know. Maybe Logan and I just weren't meant to be.

"Cassie? You okay?" Geoff waved a hand in front of my face, bringing me back from my thoughts.

"Sorry, yeah. Just tired."

"Well, did you want to order a coffee or something? Or shall we go back to the hotel? Only, Jack's waiting in the car..."

"No that's fine. I'm ready." I was anxious to see Jack. "Logan?"

"Let's go."

Geoff had parked a few feet from the café but I was the last person to reach the car. A friend of mine had once fallen in ice and broken her wrist, so ever since then I made sure I was careful on icy pavements.  A broken wrist was the last thing I needed tonight. Or, actually, this morning. When I finally reached the car, I noticed the clock on the dashboard read three A.M. I sat in the backseat; Jack twisted round and climbed next to me.

"Cass!" He threw is arms around me in a tight hug that I would be forever grateful for. "You're hands are freezing, Cass. I'll warm them up." He rubbed my hands together until the friction was almost painful but I didn't care. It was nice to have someone care. I loved my little brother more than anyone and I knew in that moment that as long as we were together, we could face anything life threw at us.

As Geoff drove I wondered if this was the last journey we would all take together, as the dysfunctional family that I considered us to be. In the back of my mind a voice told me relish in this small moment in time. I couldn't bring myself to be happy about leaving, as much I tried I couldn't stop the jealously I felt at the thought of Logan 'moving on'. I didn't really want him to, but it was for the best. I didn't want him to touch someone else, to love someone else but in time that would change. I hope.

The hotel was exactly was fancier than I had expected, until I remembered that it was Geoff that had picked it. Nothing but the best for him. He sorted out two more rooms for Logan and I, they were across the corridor from where he and Jack shared a room. After giving Jack a hug goodnight, he and Geoff went to bed. I wanted nothing more than to collapse into bed and sleep forever but there was something I needed to clear up first. Logan was retiring to his own room when I called him over.

"Logan, wait." He walked over to where I stood in the narrow hallway outside our rooms, a look of surprise crossing his face.

"Is it over now? With George?"

"No. I don't think it will ever be over with him. He wants me dead, Cass."

"Why can't you just call the police? Let them sort it out..."

"It's not that simple. The police can't do any more than I can anyway. George isn't the kind of person to leave evidence, so they would have nothing to go on. Look, just get some sleep and stop worrying. Everything will sort itself out."

 I had a feeling that wasn't true.