Chapter twelve: Rising Tentions

"This is all your fault!" I was seething, " I bet you did this on purpose. Are you trying to get us caught again?"

"What? No, what are you talking about? It was an accident." Kason said, defending himself.

"Ash, it wasn't his fault. It's just a flat tire." Seth said trying to be reasonable without upsetting me further. We both knew what happened when I couldn't control my anger.

"He planned this." I said ignoring Seth's comment. "He's working against us. He wants us to get captured again so he can-" I stopped, swallowing hard at the memory of that hallucination from the toxin. There was no way I could trust Kason after watching him kill Seth in cold blood.

"Aislin, please. I promise you I'm not with them. I want out as much as you." He said, reaching a hand out to touch my shoulder. I flinched and he stopped with his hand in the air until he finally thought it was smarter not to touch me.

"Ash, listen to me. Kason helped us get out. If he'd been working for the lab, he wouldn't have taken part in destroying it and getting all of us out." He put both hands on my shoulders, determined to make me understand.

I relaxed, finally listening to Seth's words. "Lift up your shirt." I said flatly.

"What?" Seth pulled a confused expression. "What are you-"

"Lift. Up. Your. Shirt." I said each word with a dangerous tone. Kason stepped back a little and I was glad he was smart enough not to comment.

"You're being insane, Ash." Seth said raising his eyebrows. Stepping back, he lifted up the shirt he had on under the jumpsuit he had taken off a while ago. I carefully examined his bare torso in search of any words or symbols. There was nothing there and I released a breath I didn't know I was holding.

"There. Happy?" He arched an eyebrow and had a frustrated tone.

"Mal!" We all looked over at the new voice speaking to see Erin waving frantically to someone about one hundred feet in front of us. I felt everyone tense up at the sight of the figure. I knew everyone was wondering if it was a threat.

The figure seemed to be waving back at Erin. All eyes turned to her when we realized she appeared to know the person.

She turned toward our group and said, "He's not dangerous. Well...not to us. I'll be right back." For some reason, that comment didn't put my mind at ease as I watched her turn around again. I blinked quickly, trying to make sense of what happened next. Erin was gone. I looked around where she was just standing and found empty space.

I turned back to the boy standing far in front of us and found two figures this time. I made out the second one to be Erin. That isn't even possible...she was so fast. I thought to myself.

She was talking to the boy and suddenly she was merely two feet in front of me. I tried to hide the bewildered look on my face to no avail.

"We got separated in all the commotion back at the lab." she explained, "The driver of the truck he was in saw us break down. They sent him to check it out and now he's going to get the others to help."

I glanced back in the direction he was in to find him running to a large vehicle in the distance. How did I not notice that before?

"There. Problem solved." Kason said, giving a smug smile. I gave him a death glare and he backed off quickly.

I felt a small tug at the back of my jumpsuit and turned around. It was the little girl I had saved earlier. Her red curls were messy and tangled from sleep and her bright green eyes looked tired. She appeared to be about five years old, but I wasn't sure. She was sucking her thumb again.