Chapter one: Illegal Actions Can Get You Arrested...

*BARK! BARK!*

I'm running.

*BARK*

They're getting closer.

"She's over there!"

I can't keep going.

*BARK! BARK!*

My lungs are about to explode. Something sharp hits my neck. I'm falling...

My vision's fading in and out of focus. I see them standing over me in their stark, white lab coats. One of them is holding a syringe with the blue liquid.

The needle is getting closer to my head. I see the cold, emotionless expressions on their faces.

Closer...

Closer...

I woke up screaming to an empty house. The sheets were thoroughly soaked with perspiration. I reluctantly got up and did a mental scan of the dark, vacant house. I didn't receive any thoughts. The house was dead silent.

I stumbled into the kitchen and grabbed a bottle of water from the refrigerator, trying to relieve myself of the night's horror. My hands were still shaking from the all too real dream. I know what you're thinking. It was just a nightmare. That could never happen.

Well, becoming a target of harsh experiments and being hunted by men with rather large canines might not happen to a normal person, but unfortunately, I'm not exactly normal. That nightmare seemed almost like a memory to me. I've been free from that place for almost six months and I've had nightmares ever since. I never truly feel safe. Even after I found this abandoned lake house. It's completely secluded, yet I still find my paranoid self constantly checking for thoughts and sounds. I can't keep living like this. It's too exhausting. And lonely....

The sky was already displaying the first pink and yellow flecks of daylight as the sun slowly rose. I figured it was pretty early as I headed to sit in the chair in front of the main window in the living room. The view of the sun rising over the lake was beautiful. I was slowly getting over the memory of the dream as I continued watching the therapeutic sight before me. How could someone abandon a place like this?

My thoughts were interrupted by a familiar rumbling sound coming from my stomach. I got up from my comfortable spot and checked the refrigerator for something to eat. I moved to the cupboard when I realized there was nothing left. I found a small granola bar left in the cabinet. Well apparently I needed to go to the store because one granola bar was not going to do it.

Unfortunately one of the negative, yet seemingly permanent side effects of that repulsive serum they injected me with was a freakishly high metabolism. I needed twice the amount of calories in a day that a normal 15 year old girl would have. At least, I think I'm around 15 years. The years kind of blur together when you are kidnapped and experimented on for as long as I was. My point is, I couldn't afford to lose any more weight. You could already see my ribs. I grabbed some money I had stashed in a drawer in the kitchen.

After I escaped, I knew I'd need some eventually so I went to an ATM a couple days after I had escaped and acquired the information I needed from the person in front of me, if you know what I mean. I know, I know. It's bad to steal but I'm pretty sure I needed the money more than he did. Plus the guy was rich so it's not like he was missing much. I tried to only use what I needed to keep from running out. But that was somewhat hard since I ate so much.

I got ready to run the 5 miles to the closest store to the house. I knew it wouldn't take too long for me to get there. One of the other, more useful side effects of the serum was the ability to run faster than humanly possible without wearing down. That came in handy every once in a while. I went out side and breathed in the fresh, woodsy air. Then, I began the route I had memorized to the store. I knew it was going to be a long, beautiful day.