Chapter twenty seven: Wait...What?

I wasn't sure whether to be relieved, scared, or annoyed that Kason had woken up at that moment. Although, I was leaning towards annoyed because if I didn't get some sleep soon, I was liable to tear Kason's head off.

"How did I get here?" a very bewildered Kason asked with frustration.

"We dragged your heavy butt up here, that's how." I growled.

Kason seemed to notice my agitation, but instead of backing off and letting me go to sleep, he continued to push me. "Jeez, Grumpy. Show a little concern. I was in agony back in that field."

I clenched my fists, trying to suppress my frustration by asking him what I'd been wondering since he passed out. "What happened to you back there. You obviously remember the pain."

Kason rolled his eyes looking bored. "Nothing much," he began as he studied his fingernails, "I just gained all of your abilities."

I wondered if I'd heard him right as I stared at him with my mouth open. "Y-you what?"

He looked up at me then, taking satisfaction in the fact that he caught me off guard. Suddenly he was no longer in his spot on the bed, but directly over me with his arms resting on the bed and holding himself up. I gasped. The motion was so fast that I had no time to think and ended up simply shrinking into the bed below him, wishing I'd gotten my own room.

His emerald eyes showed amusement at my reaction to him. He gave a mischievous smirk and cocked his head to the side. I swallowed hard, my mouth feeling like it was full of cotton balls. "Oh, I also got everyone else's abilities as well."

I blinked and he was back on his bed in one motion, and he was laughing at the horror stricken expression on my face. I honestly didn't know what to think at that point. "How did that happen?" I was still flustered but I was aware enough to become annoyed once again.

He put a finger to his mouth and furrowed his brows as if he was thinking hard. "Well, I must have gained a new ability due to the recent tests they did on me before we left the lab. I'm guessing it had something to do with that toxin they injected me with right before we escaped. When you touched me, it must have set off some sort of reaction with this new-found ability and my body somehow absorbed your abilities, as well as the others'."

I blinked several times at how serious he was being. Something caught my attention. "Wait-did you say toxin?"

He nodded, "Yes, they injected me with this red serum I'd never seen before. It must have changed my molecular structure and unlocked new abilities. I mean, I would've had to have the potential for these abilities already. The toxin simply set them into motion. Now I've absorbed yours, and the pain was due to the accumulation of the experiences each of you had to endure to get the way you are now."

He was beginning to sound like Nadia with his analytic behavior. "So let me get this straight," I started shakily, "You suffered everything we've been through in the lab since we were taken in a matter of five minutes? And then you acquired all of our skills?"

He nodded. "Pretty much."

I gave him a skeptical look, "How do you know how to use them properly? It's taken us years."

He smiled. "Other than yours and Erin's I don't. Erin's speed was easy to figure out. Your abilities, though, I had to do a little brain picking there. I didn't mean to at first. The thoughts just started coming to me. But once I acquired the information I was able to control it."

I scowled, "You were in my head?"

"Correction, I am in your head. There's some juicy stuff up there, I gotta say." He continued in an annoying tone, "Oh, so you do think I'm cute. In a mysterious frustrating way. It must be hard sleeping in same room with me without giving in to those devious temptations." He smiled evilly, satisfied that I was reacting.