Chapter eight: The Lab

I woke up on a very cold, hard floor. My vision was fading in and out and my mind was fuzzy. They must have sedated me, I thought as I began to remember what happened when they opened the van doors. I went insane. I was like some wild animal, determined not to let them take me. It was pointless now that I think about it. Seth and I were way outnumbered and both of our hands were bound.

As I became aware of my surroundings I noticed the unforgettable scent of chemicals and finally realized where I was. It was the place I had tried so desperately to get away and stay away. I was back in the lab.

I looked around my cell, taking in the small area. I crawled to the bars that separated me from the adjacent cell and collapsed by the wall from lack of energy. With a heavy effort, I sat up and leaned against the back wall. I glanced down at the floor as I ran my fingers along the small grooves carved into the concrete. They took the shape of a tic-tac-toe board that was set between the dividing bars. There were many more carvings all over the floor. Some were of animals and little stick people. Some took the shape of poorly written words. This was definitely my old cell. I remembered every inch of it and the terrible memories that came with it. All except Seth. I wished more than ever I could remember him.

The one next to me was supposedly Seth's, but it was empty. Where is he? I thought, getting worried. I didn't dare speak because I didn't want to gain any attention. I needed to think things through. Just as I was gaining back full consciousness, I heard a door slam and footsteps coming closer. I stumbled to the farthest corner of my cell and huddled myself into a tight ball. I closed my eyes as the steps came closer and I didn't even open them when I heard the cell beside me creak open.

There was a loud thud as someone was shoved into the cell and the door was quickly closed and locked afterward. The loud footsteps soon faded and panicked thoughts entered my mind. It took a moment to realize they didn't belong to me...or Seth. I chose to take a chance and opened one eye carefully. With a quick glance around the room, I decided it was safe to come out of my corner. I crawled back over to the cell beside me and stared at the still body before me. It was a young girl- maybe a few years younger than me- curled up on her side. She was pale and had blonde hair with a slight red tint to it. If her thoughts hadn't been invading my mind I'd think she was dead, as still as she was.

I took a chance and decided to talk. My voice came out raspy as I muttered a soft, "Are you okay?"

The girl stirred slightly and struggled to sit up. Her thoughts were all over the place, running through my mind so fast that I could barely keep up. I had never read anyone's thoughts that fast. I tried to tune them out when they started giving me a headache.

She looked scared when she sat up. The girl looked at me with wide eyes and flinched. I can only imagine why. I must have looked awful after the fight I put up. I tried talking again. "I won't hurt you."

I put on a friendly smile and she seemed to relax a little. "Who are you?" she asked in a small voice.

"My name is- I'm Aislin." I said. Something else I forgot, according to Seth. I felt overwhelmed by all the memory gaps I was finally starting to notice. "What's your name?"

"Erin." She said quickly. If it weren't for my enhanced hearing, I wouldn't have been able to understand her at all.

I wondered how long she had been here but I decided to ask those questions later. She looked like she was just put through hell and I didn't think she needed to be reminded of how long she'd been there.

"That's a nice name." I smiled and said, "Nice to meet you Erin."

"I would say the same if we weren't meeting in such a terrible place." She said bitterly.