Chapter thirty three: This is Goodbye

"Do you have to do that?" I heard a familiar voice ask. I felt a slight pinch in my forearm. My eyes were firmly shut as I was slowly coming out of what seemed like a dark oblivion. 

"It's just a mild sedative. It won't hurt her in any way. This is just until we are sure the toxin no longer has a hold over her consciousness." The voice startled me. It belonged to Jillian, but last time I checked, she was back in America. "She'll be weak for some time. The serum put a substantial strain on her muscles, not to mention how it could possibly affect her mental state."

"What are you saying?" Seth's voice was concerned.

"I mean, from what I can tell, this serum shoots straight for certain parts of the brain. It's highly unlikely that anyone could come out of a state like that and not have some after effects. Just look at her brother, for instance-"

"Shh," Seth's voice was low, "I think she's waking up."

I somehow found the strength to open my eyes. My mouth felt like cotton and my head was pounding. My body felt overly relaxed, probably from the sedative. I couldn't quite form words yet, but I gave a questioning look to Jillian.

Jillian gave a gentle smile and started to explain her presence, "I tried to get here faster, but my pilot was a little preoccupied, what with the plane crash and all." Jillian chuckled slightly, attempting to make light of the situation. I frowned, and she cleared her throat and continued, "We're still in Ireland, dear. We're in a hospital."

I looked around the room and began to panic, trying to gain the strength to sit up. "No, no, sweetie. Please, lay back down." Her hand was already pushing back toward the bed, "It's alright," she gave Seth a pointed look, "We're being left alone here. Seth here helped a little with that."

"Is she alright?" Seth chimed in, finally.

Jillian shined a tiny, bright light in each of my eyes, causing me to blink rapidly. "No sign of red-eye..."Jillian trailed off as she observed me, "Her pupil dilatation is normal and she's not showing any signs of intense rage," Jillian said the last part as if it were some inside joke, "I think she's good. I'll leave you two alone for a while, but I'll be in to check on her later. I know she heals faster than the average person, but that rapid change in her body put a tremendous strain on her muscles. She'll need to start physical therapy soon to build back her strength." Jillian smiled and walked out of the room.

Seth didn't say anything for a minute. He eyed me with a concerned look and brushed some hair out of my face. "I was so worried about you." Seth's voice broke and it nearly brought tears to my eyes. "I wanted to be with you the whole time. I begged for another way of handling this." My face gave nothing away, "Do you remember what happened? Jillian said you might have some memory loss, but do you remember anything?" Seth looked at me expectantly.

I finally glared at Seth, causing his face to fall. It was a stupid question. Of course I remembered. It was all fake. Nothing was real; not my relationship with Kason, not Seth's death. It was all some elaborate plan that Seth, of all people, took part in. I wished I had the strength to slap him, because he sure as hell deserved it.

I opened my mouth to say something, but I only made a weak croaking sound. I was determined to speak, but Seth interrupted me, "Don't try to talk. You've been through a lot." 

I simply carried on out of spite until my mouth fine formed the words, "Why did you do it?"

Seth gave a look of guilt before explaining, "It was the only way to save you."

"Save me?" I wanted to say more, but my voice caught. Seth tried to grab my hand, but I pulled it away. I finally regained enough energy to speak again, "That was horrible, what you did."