Introduction Arc: Episode III- The Study Date and the Stone

At five, there's a knock on the dorm door. Felix opens it and sees Skylar. "Ready to go, Felix?" Felix nods yes in response and walks out with Skylar. Ken winks at him before he walks out.

At Skylar's place, Felix goes over the Affinities lesson with her. After a few hours she finally gets it. "So tell me how Water Magic's advantages work now." says Felix.

"Okay, Water beats Fire and Earth, but it's weak to Poison and Plant."

"Great and what two match-ups will always cancel each other out?"

"Fire and Ice and... Oh! Light and Shadow!"

"That's great Skylar! We got through this much faster than I thought."

"Wait, I have a question."

"We already covered everything on today's lesson."

"Yeah, but I just want to know, how do you know what your Affinity is?"

"Well there's a test that's been done for years." Felix pulls out two small pieces of paper. "This paper is made from a special type of tree called a Blueleaf tree. When you put your fingerprint on it, you get one of twelve reactions." Felix's fingerprint causes one paper to wrinkle up. "See that means I have the Lightning Affinity."

"Yeah, they say Lightning Affinity Mages are fast and energetic like Ken!"

"Well, the energetic part is true for most Lightning Mages but not all of them. Things like Earth Mages being honest and humble or Poison Mages being masochists are all just stereotypes." Felix gives Skylar his other paper and her fingerprint causes it to split in two. "That means you have a Sky Affinity. Sky Affinity Mages are optimistic and are always gracious, even after being defeated."

"Really? I'm not gonna lie, I've never taken losing very well."

"Well, I told you they were just stereotypes."

He and Skylar laugh. Felix looks at his watch and then thinks to himself, I might even have some time to train with Ken and Arashi after all! Skylar smiles, "Thanks for your help, Felix. Hey, you sure you can't stay longer? We can still just hang out." Felix is conflicted but eventually answers, "I'd love to but I have to do something with Ken and Arashi. I'll see you later." On his way back to school, Felix notices it's gotten windy all of a sudden. He's running along the shore when something pokes his foot. "That looks strange."

He digs it out and it's a stone. It's shaped like a star and has various colors. The stone glows when Felix touches it and a glowing magical energy enters Felix's body, causing him to glow too. What the hell?! There's so much energy... I don't know if... my body can... As a rainbow light fills his mouth and eyes, Felix screams and then passes out.

Felix wakes up in the nurse's office at the institute and sees Ken, Arashi and Skylar standing over him. "Damn, how many times are you gonna get knocked out in one week?" asks Ken. Arashi hits him on the head and asks Felix, "Are you alright? When you didn't come home by ten, we got worried. Then, Skylar called us, saying she found you unconscious on the beach. What happened?" Felix thinks back and remembers touching that stone on the beach. He looks down and sees it as a necklace around his neck. Okay, that's not normal! But if I tell them what happened, would they even believe me?

"Uh... I can't really remember." Ken butts in and points to Felix's new necklace, "Hey where'd you get that?"

"I've... had for a while actually. It was... a gift from my grandma. I only wear once in a while, to remind me of her."

"I'm sorry, Felix."

"She's not dead! She just lives on the other side of America from us and I don't get to see her that often." Arashi hits Ken across the head. "Idiot."