Chapter 14

Finally the day had arrived. I was wearing a white shirt with a loose tie. My sleeves were rolled up. I was heading to pick up Arial.

She was doing a great job at dancing. She was sad the entire time. I could do nothing to make her feel better.

I reached her house and saw her come out. She was wearing a grey colour gown. Her hair was let down and she had not applied any make up. She looked beautiful. I got down and opened the door for her. She got in and put on her seat belt.

Then I drove to the hall. I kept looking at her from the corner of my eye. She was fidgeting with her clutch. I wanted to hold her hand and make it still. But I couldn't. I hated such times.

"We can do this," I said to her.

"Yes," she said in a weak voice. Her confidence level had surely increased.

We reached the hall and headed to the back stage. We saw the other two pair. There were kids of about fifteen and a couple in their 20s. Competition didn't look easy.

We were the second pair to go on stage. It was eventually our turn. We stood behind the curtains.

"We got this," I whispered to her. Then the curtain opened. We stood staring at each other till the song began.

No! It was not our song. I saw Arial with a shocked expression. She had realised it as well. She was almost in tears. I can't let her down. I promised her and I will fulfil it. I went close to her.

"Follow my lead."

The music was slow. I placed my hands around her waist. My skin was touching hers. I could feel her warmth spread throughout me. She understood and placed her arms around my neck.

Suddenly the music became fast. I started spinning and twirling her around. She moved just as I wanted her to. The music kept changing and so did we. It continued for about five minutes before it finally stopped.

My one hand was around her waist and the other around her neck. She had her hands around my neck. I was close to her. I could feel her heat as her body was against mine.

I heard people clapping. I turned to look at the audience and saw them standing. We came backstage and saw Lexy pulling her hair in frustration.

"Oh my god! Lexy it was you. You tried to ruin this." Arial started crying. I placed my arm over her shoulder and she cried on mine.

"You are going to pay for this. If Nick wouldn't handle it I would never get to see my grandad."

"So?" Arial was fuming with anger. She was about to pounce on Lexy when I caught her by her waist.

"Watch your tongue," I warned her. I then led Arial out. She wiped her tears. We went to the stage for the announcement of the winners.

Great! Lexy was the announcer. "So ladies and gentlemen, our king and queen are Nicholas and Arial." She looked at us with hatred in her eyes. She bought two crowns.

I picked up one and place it on Arial's head. She did the same for me. Everyone clapped for us. I saw Jackson whistling from the wings.

As soon as everything was over, we headed to the hospital. Arial said that she would go on her own but I insisted.

I saw her lead the way to John's room. I saw John lying on the hospital bed looking weak.

He smiled as soon as he saw us.

"My queen," he said. Arial started crying and went to hug him.

"Why did you do this granddad?" She asked crying.

"Because it was the first time you were participating in something. You were having fun. I didn't want to spoil it. You need to live for yourself my girl." I decided to give them some privacy and headed for the door.

"Where are you going king?" John asked.

"Just giving you both some time."

"Its okay my son. Come sit." I did as he told. He looked very weak. His cheeks had gone in. He looked unhealthy.

Arial was going to stay there. She had already bought her clothes. I got up to leave. I went out and heard Arial call me.

"Thanks Nicholas. Its because of you that we won."

"No. Its because of us. We did it. Together."

"Why didn't you tell me danced so well? You dance is way better than Sally but don't tell her I said this."

"I learned dance long time ago. I hadn't practiced for a very long time. So I didn't say anything. And no I won't tell her." I had actually learned dancing long time ago. Longer than she thought.

"Well, see you around," I said.

"Yeah. Bye," she said smiling. I smile back thinking that I was responsible for it a bit.