Chapter 7

I ran up the stairs to grab my phone. There was one new message. It was from Chad. Of course. I threw my phone onto my pillow and wrapped myself in a blanket before heading to look out the window. George and Oliver stood on the sidewalk as Louis kicked the snow around to erase the message. Why would someone do this to me? I have an uneasy feeling about this. Maybe Oliver was right about calling the police, but I can’t give in now. I’ll be fine. I’m sure this will all blow over in a few days. 

I sat down on my bed so I could still watch the snow. I heard my door open, but I didn’t move. Maybe it's Oliver. I can't believe he stayed over last night because he was worried about me! I felt someone sit down next to me and I turned to see Oliver giving me a weak smile. It faded as he brushed my cheek with his thumb. 

"I didn't realize I was crying,” I said. He didn't respond right away, so I looked back to the window to avoid the awkwardness. He laid his hand on mine causing me to turn towards him. 

"Are you okay, Stella?" 

I nodded and smiled. "I guess I'm just overwhelmed. I'm sorry for storming off." He looked surprised. 

"Stella, I came up here to apologize for saying you were being foolish." He frowned and looked away. 

“There’s no need for that. I think I am being foolish.” I shrugged my shoulders and went to stand up, but Oliver pulled me back down.

“You are not being foolish.” He placed a hand on my back. I saw his facial expression change as he quickly removed his hand and looked down. 

“Oliver? Are you okay?” 

“I’m sorry,” he said. “I just– I’m worried about you.” I didn’t know how to respond. “Stella, I know that sounds crazy because we just met, but I–“ “Stop it.” I interrupted. “What?” 

I gave him an awkward hug while we were sitting on my bed. I could feel myself blushing and hoped it wasn’t visible as I pulled away from him. He was smiling, and it looked like he was blushing too. 

“I’m sorry, I just don’t think it’s that weird.”

“Really? You don’t think me worrying about you after I’ve only known you for a few days isn’t strange at all?” 

“Well, when you put it that way, I guess. But I like you a lot so I suppose I’m looking past it.” 

He smiled as he leaned in and kissed my cheek. 

“I’m glad you’re looking past it because I like you a lot, too.” 

We sat there in silence for a moment until Louis and George busted into my room. 

“Hey lovebirds!” Louis yelled. Oliver and I quickly fumbled away from each other, me almost falling off the bed completely. They all laughed at me.

Louis finally calmed down enough to speak. “George has a wonderful plan!” 

George had a smirk on his face, meaning I would not approve of this apparently “wonderful plan.” George caught my face of disapproval and yelled, “We’re all going to sleep at Olly’s tonight!” 

Oliver smiled and looked to me. “How does that sound?”

“Oliver they literally just planned a party at your house without asking you about it.”

He shrugged his shoulders and laughed. Louis sat in-between us and wrapped his arm around Oliver. “Olly and us are friends, remember?” 

“Yeah, and you can’t steal him away!” George shouted.

Before I could blush and do something awkward, my stomach growled so loud everyone in the room stopped and looked at me. Louis laughed, “Looks like we need to take you out like we promised!” “Guys I really don’t think that’s necessary” I said, knowing I was not in the “going out” mood after all that’s happened. 

“Look at it this way, Stel” George began, “Either you go out and have a good time and stay with us at Olly’s, or you don’t go out and we’re all going to complain about not going out while we’re at Olly’s.”

I looked at him confused. “Uh, those are basically the same thing.” 

“You know one of them sounds better, Stella.” Oliver chimed in.

“Fine.” I said rolling my eyes. 

We ended up just going out to eat at a pub near my house. As hard as it is for me to admit, I did enjoy being out of the flat. It’s very nice. I’m sure the sleepover thing will be fun. I just wish it was at my house so I had more control. Oh no, does that make me a control freak? Maybe this is for the best, then.

Louis and George left with Oliver while I went to my house to pack an overnight bag. They’ve been giving Oliver and I crap all day about our relationship– whatever it is. I finished packing a bag and changed into sweats before heading downstairs. I ran into the kitchen to grab my keys and screamed as I saw “He’s mine.” written on the microwave. My heart stopped when I saw not only my reflection in the microwave, but another dark figure standing behind me. I screamed again as I quickly grabbed the knife block and threw it at them. I heard a scream as the knife block made contact with their head, and it sounded like a girl. She said, “Tell Olly Samantha’s back.” before running out the door. 

I stood there trying to process what happened. I turned and looked at the microwave to make sure I didn’t dream it up myself. The writing was still there. I don’t know how long I stood there, but I was awaken from my daze by Oliver yelling. 

“Stella?!” I turned to face him and I couldn’t speak. He looked down at the mess on the floor. 

“Oh my– Stella, did you throw all of these knives at them?” Oliver said as he wrapped his arms around me.

“No. I just threw the knife block.” I tried to hold back the tears that started building up in my eyes.

“At least you know you still have it under pressure, right? I mean, sort of.” He laughed and I couldn’t help giggle in response. “Hey, it’s okay to cry.” 

With those words I lost it. My knees gave out and I found myself crying into Oliver’s chest. He stood there supporting me and running his fingers through my hair. I put myself together enough to step back and look at Oliver.

“Who is Samantha?” 

“What?” Oliver said as he tilted his head. 

“The person who was here said “Tell Olly Samantha’s back.” So, who is Samantha?”

“She’s no one.” He looked upset.

“Apparently not, since she’s been stalking me and all.” 

“I’m so sorry, Stella. But now that I know, all of this will be over.” 

“What?”

“Yeah, I just need to make a call. See you at my place?”

“Uh, yeah, sure.” It was as I was watching him leave when I realized I really don't know him at all.