Chapter 2

"I'm sorry you have to see me like this. Thank you for giving me a lift." I said as I wiped my tears with my sleeve.

He started the car and began driving towards campus. "Don't worry about it. I'm sorry Chad is such a prick. I never liked him."

I laughed. "I know."

He looked over at me and smiled. "Really? I thought I did a pretty good job of hiding it. Oh well. You deserve better."

"Thanks."

"Seriously, Stel." He grabbed my hand and looked me in the eyes.

"I get what you're saying. Maybe I should set my standards a bit lower–"

"Don't you dare. If anything you should set your standards higher!"

I looked at him in amusement. "If I set my standards higher who in the world would want to date me?"

"A prince?" He questioned. We both laughed as he pulled up to the sidewalk leading to my apartment. 

I gave him a quick kiss on the cheek. "Thank you again for coming to my rescue."

"No problem. I work until midnight tonight, but you can bet me and Louis will be skipping class tomorrow to hang out with you all day!"

I frowned at the idea of the guys giving up their plans to spend time with me. "George, you don't need to do that–"

"But we want to Stella. I'll wait to talk to Louis tonight, so if you want to let him know, you have plenty of time. You may want to let Hope know too." 

I nodded. Hope was the first girlfriend I really had at Oxford. Come to think of it, she's really the only girlfriend I do have–that I'm close to at least. She's wonderful, but she's been studying fashion in New York this term.

George got out of the car and walked around to open my door. I climbed out of the car and gave him a peck on the cheek. "Thank you again, George."

"Anytime. Oh, wait! Don't forget this!" He leaned into the car and grabbed the piece of chocolate cake. I laughed as he gave it to me, "Oh, thanks! This will surely be eaten by the time you get here tomorrow."

"Don't worry, I'll bring some more!" He laughed and I started to wonder how much weight I might potentionally gain because of this break-up. I can't let that happen. "That's really okay, George. I think I'll be good with what's in my apartment."

"Please. The last time I saw your fridge it was empty." I thought for a moment, then realized he was right.

"I'll see you in the morning." He said before kissing my forehead and looking down at me. "If you need anything at all, just text me."

"Okay." I laughed.

"Please Stel." He looked at me sternly.

"Fine! Okay." He smiled as he went to the other side of the car and opened his door.

"Love you, Stel!" "Love you too!" I waved him goodbye as he shut his door and drove off.

The minute I closed the door to my apartment I grabbed a pillow off the couch and squeezed it as I began to cry again. Why did this have to happen? We just had our one year anniversary! Chad was the first serious person I ever dated. Is this a sign? Maybe I'm not supposed to find love. Stop, Stella. How can I be this ridiculous? This happens. People break up. Maybe Chad texted me. I pulled out my phone to check, but the only message was from George. "I know things are hard right now, but know that your true friends will never do anything like this to you. Chad never treated you the way you deserve to be treated, and I think deep down you know that. Love you. See you in the morning." Well, I guess that makes up for Chad not texting me. I don't know what to think anymore. I don't think it's fair to be mad at myself, but I don't think it's any better to put all the blame on Chad. It's just hard to think that it's all over. But maybe it's not. I need to keep that option open. The option of him changing. Give it up, Stella, he's not going to change. Chad is now a part of the past. It's kind of crazy how I can have these self revelations and feel totally content, but for some reasons I can't stop craying. I don't understand where these tears keep coming from. I laid down, pulled a blanket over my shaking body, and cried myself to sleep.