Chapter 5

I went to grab some tape from the kitchen. I mean, I really have no idea how to fix this kind of stuff. I don't have any duct tape, but Chad does. Stop it, Stella. You can't call him. I pulled out my phone to text Oliver, but I forgot that I don't have his number. A mix of relief and annoyance flowed through me. Surely he would be back from the party by now. I threw on a jacket and slippers, and exited my house. It was snowing and extra chilly outside as I walked across my lawn and stood at his door. I stared and contemplated knocking. I mean, what is he going to think when he sees me? But it doesn't matter. I need to get this window somewhat fixed before whoever it was comes back. I knocked, and it wasn't thirty seconds before his door opened. He was wearing flannel pants and was shirtless underneath his grey robe. 

He smiled, "Good evening, neighbor." I saw him assess my outfit. "Did you come here to have a slumber party?" 

I tried to giggle, but it came out extremely awkward. "I'm sorry, it's just..." 

Now I'm questioning if I should tell him at all. I watched his smile fade and he looked at me concerned. "Is everything okay?" 

I bit my lip and looked back at my house. Maybe this was a mistake. I don’t know if I’m getting too close to him. Chad just kissed me, but he doesn’t know that yet. Oh, no. What have I done?

Oliver’s hand on my shoulder brought me back to reality. “Stella, what happened to you?”

“I was going to bed when I heard a crash. I came downstairs and someone had thrown a brick through my front window." He looked shocked. Almost like I was making it up. "I promise this actually just happened." 

"No, no." He put his hand on my shoulder again. “I believe you. I just can't imagine who would do something like this." He pulled me into a hug and I sighed. This was definitely a mistake, but it’s too late to turn back now. “Well, it’s someone who thinks I'm a slut." 

He pulled away from me and looked me in the eyes. "Why would you say that?" 

"Wow." He was inspecting the brick inside of my house. He had grabbed some tools from his place, and much to my displeasure, put on a grey sweatshirt. I just nodded my head and laughed. "I wish you could've seen me coming down the stairs with my phone and knife. I must've looked hilarious." I was trying to lighten the situation, but he was still studying the brick. 

"Oh," he said forcing a laugh, "That sounds like a funny picture. You know, once you take away the part about someone throwing a brick into your house!" 

I sat down on the floor by the window. "I guess you’re right." 

"I'm sorry this happened to you." 

"Hey, that's just the kind of week this is right now." 

He laughed and looked at me. "I'm glad you're okay, Stella." There he goes. I smiled at him and he continued fixing the window. There was a stream of silence for a bit, until I remembered what Chad said about talking to him at the party. 

"So Chad came over earlier." Really, Stel? You lead with that?!

He stopped what he was doing and gave me his undivided attention. "Really? How did that come about?" 

"He texted me and asked if we could talk." 

"Hm, and what did you talk about?" 

"How it wasn't going to work." 

"Oh," It looked like he was relieved.  "Well, at least you got some form of closure right?" 

"I guess. He said he saw you at the party."