Chapter Twelve

'The perfect balance of danger and charm, he was at the same time fascinating and inaccessible, distant because of his demonstrated flawlessness, and possessing such strength of character that he was dismaying and at the same time utterly attracti...

'The perfect balance of danger and charm, he was at the same time fascinating and inaccessible, distant because of his demonstrated flawlessness, and possessing such strength of character that he was dismaying and at the same time utterly attractive in an enticing and forbidden way.'

The sunlight graced the porcelin skin of the beautiful woman led beside him. Tommy didn't want to wake her. She slept so peacefully it was almost unreal, he could only wish he slept that deeply. Tommy played with the curls of Evelyn's blonde hair as she slept. Last night was something else. Would she regret it in the morning? Would she run? Or would she stay?

Tommy broke his thoughts as he looked down to see Evelyn stir. She opened her pale blue eyes and looked up at him with a smile.

'Morning.' She whispered. Tommy took hold of her soft hand and ran his fingers through hers. Evelyn smiled at the thoughts of last night. She had forgotten about James, and her former life. This was were she wanted to be now. But how? The thought scared her and she quickly moved out of the bed.

'Evelyn?' Tommy asked as he watched her clumsily put her dress from last night back on.

'I'm sorry Tommy, I have to get home. James... what if he..?' Before she could finish, Tommy stood up and grsbbed hold of her hand. His mere touch calmed her down.

'Evie, James will be gone for a few days remember?' Tommy spoke as he placed a hand on her cheek. Blushing, she avoided his eye contact.

'Tommy, last night was.... I just can't have him finding out. He will kill me. He will kill you.' Tommy pulled her into a hug as tears began to fall from her face. He didnt want to see her go back to that man, an animal who beats women. He breathed in her scent as she cried into his chest.

'Evelyn, everything will be fine,' he whispered into her hair. He knew he was lying. He wanted her to stay and never go back. He couldnt imagine that man touching her ever again. He wouldnt allow it.

'I don't want to go,' Evelyn cried as she held Tommy tighter. Tommy's heart broke at her words. He couldnt imagine the pain she was going through right now. He had no choice.

'Evelyn. I dont let him hurt you. Look, let me take you back to mine, in the country and then first thing tomorrow, you can go back home,' Evelyn looked up at him, the tears drying on her cheek. She gave him a smile and squeezed him tightly.

As they both headed down stairs to leave, Tommy heard a cough from the kitchen. It was Polly and boy could her face say a thousand words. Tommy turned to Evelyn, placing his hand on the small of her back and passing her the keys to the Bentley.

'Wait in the car.' He instructed. Evelyn nodded her head and avoided any eye contact with the Shelby matriarch. Tommy watched as she headed out of the door and prepared himself for what his aunt had to say.

'Are you fucking stupid Thomas?' Polly spat as she sat at the kitchen table, placing her head in her hands. Tommy rolled his eyes and his aunts abrubtness.

'Polly, I am taking her back to mine and then she will be back home tomorrow. She just needed some time,' Tommy explained.

'What on her back?' Polly's words angered Tommy. 'You have brought enough shit into this Thomas. Her fiancee will kill us all if he finds out what has happened.'

'Polly. He isn't going to find out,' Tommy said running his hands through his black hair. He knew she was right, but he couldnt admit it.

'Thomas, that girl is pretty and kind I will give her that. But your a fool if you let love blind you,' Polly finished. Tommy didnt want to hear anymore, he turned his back on his aunt and headed out the door.

Evelyn blushed as she watched Tommy leave the terrace house and open the car door. He didn't say anything as he turned the key over starting the car.

The journey out of Birmingham was quiet. Polly was right and Tommy knew it. Evelyn glanced over to Tommy as they arrived at his manor out in the country. Evelyns mind was racing. Her palms sweating as she thought back to last night. James would kill her. What was she going to do?

'Tommy, where are we?' She spoke softly. Tommy brought the car to a halt and rested his hands on the steering wheel.

'Evelyn, I'm going to be honest with you.' He turned to face her, the worry rushing to her face. 'I don't want you to go back to that man. You deserve so much more. I am going to take you into that house, my house. We are going to do anything we like, and if you want to leave in the morning, I will have to deal with that decision and you can be with James until your dying day. If you want to stay, well, I think you already know the answer to that.' Tommy finished. Evelyns mouth was dry. Her heart beating through her chest. Her heart was thinking one thing, but her mouth said the complete opposite.

'Take me home Tommy.' Evelyn said bluntly, turning away from him.

'Evie, please..' Tommy reached forward. Evelyn slapped his hand away as she moved uncomfortably in the passenger seat.

'Take me home Thomas. I will not ask again,' she spat. Tommy paused for a minute, shocked at her sudden outburst. He sighed as he turned the engine back on, resversed up the drive and headed back to her home.

Evelyn wanted to cry. She was so torn. The man beside her cared for her, could even love her. Yet, she was heading back to the man she was due to marry, who threw her around like a ragdoll. Was it for reputation? Was it for her mother?

She didnt even notice Tommy pull up outside her manor until he spoke her name.

'Evelyn don't do this,' Tommy begged. Evelyn hesitate as she looked up to his blue eyes, like pools of water.

'I'm sorry Tommy.' Was all she said as she placed a kiss on his cheek and made her way out of the car.