Chapter Eight

'Whoever said that love was sweet, drank a little too much whiskey

'Whoever said that love was sweet, drank a little too much whiskey.'

Evelyn ran the warm water over her body as she sat in the bath. She had ran back home from Tommy's and hid herself from James. She didn't want him to she her upset, especially after that morning. Her blue eyes glanced at the bruises on her wrist, causing her to wince. What was she going to do?

'Evelyn, are you in there?' A bang came from the door behind her. It was her mother, Lillian. Evelyn rubbed the tears from her eyes and stepped from the rub, wrapping a robe around her petite frame. The door opened and her mother stepped in. Evelyn watched as her mother looked at her like a puppy, titling it's head at an unusual sound.

'Come on darling, let's talk.' Lillian spoke as she walked towards her daughter's bed and sat herself down. Evelyn pulled at the sleeves of her robe, hoping her mother wouldn't see the damage.

'What is it mother?' Evelyn asked, almost spitting the question at her. Lillian had introduced her to Evelyn, knowing the wealth he was in. A fine match.

'Darling, James has told me about the other night. About this, Shelby man. I just need to tell you Evelyn, we don't need any distractions. You and Welmont are a fine match and we don't want anything to ruin this marriage,' Lillian spoke softly. Evelyn rolled her eyes, her mother was so pathetic. Lillian only cared for herself. After her husband died, there was no money and Lillian didn't dare imagine herself working in a factory. If only her mother knew how broken her daughter was becoming.

'Mother, Mr Shelby is just a friend. I don't think..'

'Oh Evelyn, stop it! Do you really think I was born yesterday. Your marriage to James will ensure we dont wind up at the poor house! You can blame your father for putting us in this position. I don't want you seeing this Shelby man again,' Lillian demanded. Evelyn threw her head up at her demand.

'But mother!'

'Evelyn, No! You are to marry James. And let that be the god damn end of it!' And with that Evelyn watched her mother storm out of her room.

Evelyn threw herself onto the bed. What could she do? She was forced to marry a man who beat her and treated her like dirt, and doing it all for her mother. Evelyn didn't care if she was rich or poor. Maybe it was time for Evelyn to be selfish. Maybe she should have jumped from that bridge after all. She was torn.

The next day, Evelyn was glad to hear that James had been called out of town on business for a few days. Although, she questioned what the business eas, he didn't give her an honest answer. Nevertheless, she faked a smile as she kissed her fiance goodbye and breathed a sigh of relieve as she watched his car pull away from the house.

Other than the maids, it was just Evelyn. Alone, in a big house. She had never felt so out of place. So she was surprised when one of the maids came through to the study, a blush sitting on her face.

'Miss Evelyn. There is a gentleman here to see you,' the maid spoke timidly. Evelyn looked up from her book and raised an eyebrow. 'He said his name was Shelby.'

Evelyn sat wide eyed. Was he stupid? What was he doing all the way our here? She rushed to her feet and stumbled past the maid, pacing to the front door. There stood, a man she had begin to care for, smoking a cigarette. Thomas Shelby.

He looked up from under his flat cap and gave the young girl in front of him a smirk. Her face was a picture.

'What are you doing here?' Evelyn hissed, as she closed the door slightly so the maids couldn't overhear their conversation. Tommy chuckled and threw his cigarette into the gravel drive.

'Well, You left so abruptly yesterday I need to check you were still with us,' Tommy joked, causing Evelyn to roll her eyes.

'I'm serious Tommy. What are you doing here? If James were here he would kill you,' Evelyn panicked. The mere thought made her cold. Tommy stepped closer to Evelyn.

'Evelyn. I came to see that you were alright. And James isn't here, I know that because I'm the one who sent him on business.' Tommy sounded smug. Evelyn closed the door fully over, so they were both standing outside.

'Tommy, What are you talking about?' Evelyn questioned, more confused now than ever.

'Well I didn't send him on business. My brothers did. That's the problem you see when one of your factories is on fire, you need to go out and make sure everything is alright,' Tommy smirked into his words. Evelyn gasped. Tommy had purposefully set one James's factories on fire so he would be away for a few days.

'Why would you do that Tommy?' Evelyn asked softly, scared of what the answer would be. Tommy stepped closer towards her, causing her to step back against her own front door.

'Because Evie, I need to make sure your safe. I'm too involved now,' he spoke softly. Evelyn looked up to his icy blue eyes and blushed at his response. She reached her hand over to the door handle and pushed the large oak door open.

'Well I'm fine. Really. Thank you for your concern Mr Shelby,' Evelyn spoke as she made her way back through the door, until a strong hand grabbed hold of her wrist. She spun around to see Tommy, sadness in his eyes.

'Your trapped Evelyn and you need to get out. I can't see you go on like this. I got involved the moment I saw you ready to jump from that bridge. You are worth so much more Evie.'

'It's not up to you to save me Tommy,' Evelyn whispered through the tears now falling from her eyes. Tommy smirked.

'Your right, it's not. You can only save yourself Evelyn.'