Chapter Four

'The greater the power, the more dangerous the abuse'

Tommy smirked as he watched Evelyn, she clearly had never associated herself with gangsters before. She placed down her glass of whiskey and brushed her hair out of her face. He wanted to take the fragile girl in his arms and away from the life she was about to lead. She clearly didn't want to be engaged or married to this man. But what could Tommy do?

'Should i be worried Mr Shelby?' She asked clearly unsure how to behave. The man before her was clearly powerful in Birmingham. The way he smiled at her made her heart skip a beat.

'Only if you want to be Evelyn,' he joked. She smiled at his response and looked at the clock on the wall. If she didn't get back soon, James would be questioning her. She stood to leave and Tommy followed her.

'Tommy, I must go. Thank you for your time, I'm glad we finally got to talk,' she said, unable to keep her eyes off his pale blue ones. She walked towards the door to leave and could feel Tommy following her. Before she could open the door, He stood beside her and placed his hand on top of hers as she held the door handle.

'Evelyn, you know if you need anything...you come ask me first,' he spoke softly, looking down at her plump lips. Evelyn felt her heart race as his rough hand touched her delicate one. He was so close it was unbearable. He wanted to protect this girl, why he didnt know, but she needed his help from the life she was living. All she could do was not her head in response.

'Good day, Tommy.' He watched as she opened the door and left his office. Lizzie stared at the young girl as she walked out and turned to Tommy with a raised eyebrow.

'Anything I need to know about Tommy?' Lizzie asked. Tommy pulled out a cigarette and shook his head.

'If she comes by here again, cancel all my appointments.' And with that, He closed the door behind him leaving Lizzie wide eyed.

Evelyn made her way home, her heart racing from her moment with Tommy. No man had ever been so caring before. The thought of going back to James made her feel sick. He never spoke to her the way Tommy did. James spoke to her like dirt, expensive dirt that needed to be polished and shown off to those who believe it.

As she entered their home she noticed how quite the house was. She made her way upstairs, deciding it was ready to get ready for bed. She changed out of her dress into her nightwear. A loud knock on her door interuppted her and she went to open it. Stood there was James, standing tall and proud with a huge smile on his face.

'May I come in?' He asked, Evelyn didn't speak she just stood to one side and he entered. She noticed he was holding a rather large box. He turned on his heel to face her and motioned for her to sit on the bed. As she did, he stood towering over her. Making himself feel more powerful.

'I have a gift for you,' He said holding the box in front of him. Evelyn watched uncertain as he opened the box to reveal a large necklace drapped in pearls large and small. Evelyn gasped at the beauty of the necklace, it was gorgeous. James smirked as he watched her expression, feeling proud he had made her smile. He pulled the pearls out of the box and placed it gently around his fiancees neck.

Evelyn placed with the pearls, unable to believe how much this might have cost James.

'James, they are..'

'Beautiful? Yes. Just like my beautiful wife to be,' he spoke sitting beside her on the bed. Evelyn didn't know what to say, it was clear he was almost trying to bribe her love. He was already going to marry her, what else did he need? She felt his hand go behind her neck, pulling slightly on the pearls. 'I want you to wear them next week. We are going to Epson races and I want you to be the centre of attention,' he said. Evelyn felt his grip of the beads become tighter and he pulled her in for a kiss. Evelyn tried to cover her disgust but all she had to do was play the act. She placed her lips on top of his and winced at his touch.