Chapter Three

'Love meant jumping off a cliff and trusting that a certain person would be there to catch you at the bottom'

Evelyn placed her fur coat on and gave herself a finally check in the mirror. She smoothed her hair and smiled at herself. For one week now her mind had been on the man who saved her. Thomas Shelby. She had never thanked him properly for what he did. He saved her life. Without him, She would be now in a coffin, lying six feet under.

Evelyn had searched every telephone book that Birmingham had to offer, then she came across a business. Shelby Company Limited. Evelyn took a chance. She had told James that she would be out for the day shopping, while he was busy with business meetings. He didn't seem to question her 'shopping' trip.

She had paid off one of the house hold staff to drive her to a town named, Small Heath where she hoped she would find Mr Shelby. Part of her wanted to see this man again, not just to thank him, Just to be in his kind presence.

Evelyn turned her nose as her driver drove through Small Heath. It was dark, full of smoke and carried a somewhat misery. She drove last people working through coal and smoke and couldn't help but place a handkerchief over her mouth. The car came to abupt halt, causing Evelyn to jolt forward. She glanced at her appearance in the rear view mirror and at those walking in the cloudy mist. Her appearance would made her stand out like a sore thumb in this area.

Her driver assisted her out of the car and as he did, glances started to pass in Evelyn's direction. She was not used to being stared at in such a manner. Her blonde hair alone, stood out from all the dark haired other girls.  Her appearance showed her wealth, She was wearing pearls, diamonds and expensive clothing. Anybody would think she was lost. Part of her was weary of the stares but tried to ignore them as she walked through the door of the office.

Sat in a chair, behind a typewriter, was a young girl, probably no older than Evelyn, typing away. She glanced her through her long lashes at the well dressed girl before her. Lizzie's mouth was agape, She had never seen a girl so well dressed, unless she was at the races or a fancy party.

'Can I help you?' Lizzie asked. Evelyn smiled at the girl, feeling foolish for coming this far to thank a man.

'I hope so. I'm here to see Mr Shelby. I don't have an appointment but..'

'Take a seat, I'll see if he is avaliable,' Lizzie interuppted, as she headed towards Tommy's office and closed he door behind her. Evelyn sat down and before she could make herself comfortable, Lizzie had walked back through the door, leaving it open.

'Go on then,' she spoke, motioning towards Tommy's office. Evelyn breathed deeply as she walked towards the office. As she walked in the smell of tobacco hit her nostrils. In front of her, Thomas Shelby sitting at his desk ready a newspaper. His office was dark oak, filled with pictures of horses and gorgeous furnishings. Evelyn was impressed.