Chapter Ten

'All she wanted to know is that she mattered to him

'All she wanted to know is that she mattered to him. To know that somewhere deep inside she was stronger than the excuse.'

'What do you think you're doing Thomas?' Polly demanded as Tommy pushed his fingers against the bridge of his nose.

'Polly, not now. We will discuss this in the morning,' Tommy stated as he turned to walk away. Polly grapped his wrist and pulled him back.

'You listen here Thomas. I know about that girl, I know about her soon to be husband. I don't want you getting involved in anything that could ruin this family,' Polly spoke through gritted teeth. 'It could get you killed Thomas.'

Tommy shook his head, knowing that is James Welmont wanted to kill him, he wouldn't do it himself. And the way James treated Evie, Tommy might do the job first. He had started to care a lot for Evie and it was distracting him from the work he and his family were involved in.

'Thanks for the word of caution Polly. I'll bear that in mind.'

Evelyn brushed her hair behind her ear as she waited for Tommy. As she sipped on her drink she suddenly felt a cold hand on her shoulder. Spinning around she looked to see a very drunk man, his hand tightening around her shoulder. Evelyn stumbled back but the man only moved closer, so close she could smell the liquor on his breath.

'Here sweetheart, your a pretty little thing. How about you meet me put the back?' He slurred his words as Evelyn tried to pull his hand away from her shoulder. She panicked as he only gripped harder. Before she could answer, she glanced up to see Tommy standing behind the man, placing a hand on his shoulder. The drunk turned and suddenly let go of Evelyn's shoulder.

'Is there a problem here?' Tommy asked, looking down at the man who quickly moved away from them both. Evelyn watched is shock at the scene before her.

'No Mr Shelby. Sorry.. I have to...' and with that the man scurried out of the pub. Evelyn looked up at Tommy. He was powerful in Birmingham and she had just witnessed that power. He stood before her and placed a hand on the side of her face.

'Evelyn, are you okay?' He asked. She looked into his pale blue eyes and felt a rush of something she had never felt before.

'I'm fine. You wanted to show me something?' Evelyn asked as if nothing had happened. Tommy smirked and placed the hand on the small of her back and leaned towards her ear.

'Follow me.' Evelyn tried to hide her blushing cheeks as Tommy helped her with her coat and led her out of the Garrison.

The night in small heath was chilly, but Evelyn didn't mind. To be out without any worries was new to Evie. She walked with Tommy under the starlight oblivious to the quick glances Tommy would take of the beautiful woman beside him. He would smirk as he had to help her over the cobbles of Birmingham in her expensive heels. Evelyn noticed the looks from people on the streets as she walked with Tommy. He would choose to ignore it, maybe because he was so used to it.

'Tommy, where are we going?' Evelyn spoke up next to him as he held her hand over the cobbles of Birmingham. Tommy pushed open the door to his stables and led Evelyn inside. Evelyn gripped hold of Tommy's hand as the alcohol ran through her body. As the walked furhur into the stables Evelyn realised where she was. Tommy led her to a stall and there he let go of her hand and a white horse popped his head out to greet him.

Evelyn watched in awe as Tommy stroked the horses nose and whispered words in a different language. Evelyn stepped forward and placed her hand next to Tommy's. The horse stood beautifully and calm as the couple stood before him. Tommy watched as Evelyn stroked the horse and smiled to himself. She looked beautiful. How a woman like this could be with a man so violent?

'What's her name?' Evelyn asked causing Tommy to look down at her with a smile.

'She doesnt have one. But she will, when we take her to the races,' Tommy didnt take his eyes off Evelyn.

'You race horses Mr Shelby?' Evelyn asked with a raised eyebrow.

'For a long time. Actually, your winning horse at Epson was mine.' Evelyn rolled her eyes. She expected nothing more from the man before her. 'Need a name for this one though.' Tommy said as he stroked the horses nose.

'Evelyn's Secret.' Evelyn whispered as she stroked the horses nose. Tommy stepped closer to her and placed a hand on her hip. Evelyns breath caught in her thoart and she felt the warmness of his hand run through her body.

'What was that?' Tommy asked as he placed a loose stand of hair behind her ear. Evelyn look up at the man before her. Her stomach in knots and how close she was to him, the smell of whiskey on his breathe heavy.

'A name for the horse... Evelyn's Secret.' Tommy smirked as Evelyn stepped forward into his arms and her lips collied with his.