The Mysterious Hero: Chapter 22

Tear glistened in my eyes, the burning much more evident as I twitched, but I refused to blink and succumb to the torture that was of my plain, boring ceiling.

            Don’t blink, I told myself.

            Blink.

            “Darn,” I mumbled, saddened that I had failed my goal of staring at my bedroom ceiling for more than thirty seconds. My injured leg was propped up on two stacked pillows, while I was lying down on my bed feeling utterly bored. On the other hand, I wasn’t only staring at my ceiling to relieve boredom but to think.  

            My thoughts were jumbled together like a tedious crossword puzzle. I was at a blank. I didn’t know what to think or feel. I tried to analyze my thoughts but I couldn’t come up with anything. I would just simply go back to the question at hand: Why did Luke kiss me?

            Luke kissed me. I’d never thought that that would ever happen in a million years. After all, he always called me a ‘freaking revolting pig’ and relentlessly teased me, yet he still kissed me. Was that a sign the world was ending?

            I closed my eyes, recalling how his lips softly pressed against mine. It was a nice kiss, and admittedly, I enjoyed it. But I shouldn’t have enjoyed it, especially because he stole a kiss –my first kiss. My cheeks flamed up in embarrassment. Luke stole my first kiss.

            My first kiss was with Luke Masters.

            Oh. My. God.

            I hastily sat up, immediately regretting that action because I was temporarily blinded by sunlight beaming through my window shades. Yup, I was definitely in reality. Groaning, my head plopped back down on my pillow.

            It was Friday morning, two days after Luke had found out my secret, and I was stuck at home incapacitated. Adam had left for work about ten minutes ago, and I was peeved because he forgot to bring me food before leaving. My leg hurt and he wouldn’t let me go to school, yet he expected me to walk out of my room, down the stairs, and into the kitchen? Ironic, wasn’t it?

            The muscles in my stomach contracted and a roar of rumbling emanated from my stomach. I grimaced, rubbing soothing circles on my famished belly. I wasn’t supposed to leave my spot but I needed food to satisfy my hunger.

            Getting food would distract me from my problems, and solve my hunger problem, so I halfheartedly slid off my bed and to the door. Taking some precaution, I descended the stairs by sliding down each step on my butt.

            When I reached the bottom I made a beeline for the kitchen, taking slow steps. I was probably going as slow as a turtle. A yawn left my mouth as I approached the refrigerator. Paying no attention to my surroundings, because I was so distracted at the thought of food, I threw the fridge open and stuck my head in.

            Digging through the fridge, my nose scrunched up at the sight of smelly cheese. My hand was on a cold bottle of water when I froze. The hair on the back of my neck sharply stood up.

            Whirling around, I elbowed the person in the stomach and locked them in a headlock.

            “I-I,” the person spoke in between gasps, “c-can’t,” his arms flailed, “breathe!”

            Shock crossed my face and I immediately dropped my arms. The person barreled to the floor, and I stepped back in surprise. Luke lay sprawled on my kitchen floor, trying to catch his breath.